no fair!

iVillage Member
no fair!
Fri, 12-05-2008 - 10:08pm

hello, I just need some opinions. I am 23 yrs old and have 38 DDD's. I have wanted a BR for as long as I can remember, well at least since I heard about them when I was in high school. until recently I had pretty much gave up on that dream b/c I don't have much money to put towards something like that. well I finally got some health coverage through the VA (I used to be in the military) and at my last appointment about a month and a half back I talked to my doctor about the possibility of a reduction b/c my back hurts when I sit up straight too long, my bra leaves marks and I just overall hate how they look and shopping for clothes to fit over them.

she told me she would find out if I could get it done through them and a few days ago I found out they will do it... but I have to lose 70 pounds first b/c "there would be complications with the surgery b/c I am overweight". according to them my BMI is too high for the surgery, it would be too risky. my BMI is 37 and they want me to a 25 or less. I am like wtf? I weigh 210 (which I know is overweight) but it hurts to do too much exercise. my back ends up hurting and I also have knee problems. the last time I tried to run I ran a quarter mile and couldn't walk for a day b/c of it. it also hurts when I walk too much. I have tried eating less, eating healthier but it barely helps. the only thing I can think to do is walk around the block or something but that will take me FOREVER to drop the weight. it is almost enough to make me give up. I would love to be skinnier but it hurts to do too much towards that.

the funny thing is I told myself that when I get approved I was going to exercise my *ss off so I could get skinnier and healthier since it would be soooo much easier with out these two demons on my chest. loL.

has anyone else had to go through something like this before being "allowed" to have surgery? if so what helped, like is there anything I can say to them to "convince" them otherwise or anything?

thanks for your time. I am done with my random blabbering. any help would be greatly appreciated.

iVillage Member
In reply to: akaxrandomxhero
Sat, 12-06-2008 - 9:37am

WELL HELLO THERE,

I REALLY THINK IT DEPENDS ON THE TYPE OF COVERAGE YOU HAVE BECAUSE IM CURRENTLY ALSO 70LBS OVERWEIGHT BECAUSE MY IDEAL WEIGHT FOR MY HEIGHT IS 150LBS AND IM 220LBS

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-06-2008 - 11:36am
about the "complications" , that confused me too. a lot of the reason that i can't exercise so much and lose the weight is my boobs! u would think that they would figure that out... considering i have told them that. gah. i kno one of the reasons for it is they want to see if my boobs shrink when i lose weight. they never have before when i have lost weight. o well.

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-07-2008 - 6:58pm
Hi and welcome to our board. Unfortunately some insurance companies can be fussy about weight. I had to be with in my insurances weight criteria. Also I see from from your signature that you are trying to conceive. You might want to wait on having a breast reduction done if you plan to breast feed. This is a suggestion not fact. Good luck and please post us with any other questions or concerns you might have.

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board