The psychological side of a BR

iVillage Member
The psychological side of a BR
Sat, 12-13-2008 - 9:03pm

I'm new to iVillage and this message board. I've come to terms with the fact that I need a BR. First off, I'd like to thank everyone on here for all of the posts. I've found a lot of great information. My question, though, is about the psychological aspect of the process. A great deal of the posts talk about the physical problems pre and post Op, which are great! I am just wondering if anyone can give me any guidance on the psychological problems experienced with having huge breasts and how they have felt after surgery.

My story in a nutshell: 25 y/o, 5'9, 38H, athletic build. I've had these huge boobs since high school. They pretty much run my life (well, dating and socially--I hate going places because I cant find cute things to wear, I feel like everyone is staring at me, etc). I've never felt like a guy has wanted me for me...that they are really just dating my boobs. So, what is really holding me back from taking the first step (scheduling a consult) is "who am I going to be without these things?" I don't plan on going down to a really small size, probably a D, but like I said, I don't know what it feels like to be seen as anything other than boobs with legs. Dont get me wrong, I am well respected at work and I KNOW what I am and what I am capable of. I'm just having a hard time battling who I am now and how I will feel post-op. I've made a pro/con list and the pros greatly outweigh the cons. Another one of my concerns is...I dont have any really horrible physical pain (YET) which I am thankful for. I guess this is mostly because I try to keep in shape and resistance train. I guess I'm nervous about whether or not my insurance will approve me since I'm not having terribly severe physical pain. Has anyone had similar problems? Do insurance companies typically take psychological stress into consideration when allowing or denying coverage for a BR?

Everyone I have talked to said the only thing they regretted about the BR was not getting it done sooner. Any help that you can provide would be appreciated! THANKS :0)

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-14-2008 - 6:41pm

Hi!

This is such a big decision! You and only you know how you feel inside and out. I was not a big fan of my breasts...ever, and last month I had the surgery and with out a doubt the best decision I have ever made.

I'm in

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-15-2008 - 4:35pm
Hi and welcome to our board. I am yet another one that will say I wish I had it done sooner rather than later. I was 26 when I had my breast reduction done and even though I

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-08-2009 - 2:39pm

Hi there,

I wanted to respond to your e-mail because I just had the surgery myself and am having to adjust to the changes.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-09-2009 - 7:31pm

Great reply!

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-18-2009 - 2:53pm

Hi there,

I wish you the best on your surgery/recovery & life post-op.

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-22-2009 - 8:40pm

Thank you so much. I went to my PS at the beginning of January and got my insurance approval letter last week. Now it is time for me to make another appt w/the PS to discuss my surgery date. I've been dieting and exercising in preparation...so far I've lost 12 pounds. I am determined to get the rest of my body ship shape...I'm afraid I'll look so much bigger around the waist with smaller boobs.

I'm still throwing this back and forth...I know I've got to do it...I mean, every night I'm on the treadmill, wearing 2 bras... the marks from the straps on my shoulders look like they're about to rip open my skin. Also, the underwire from my bra digs into my ribs when I'm sitting down and it is really uncomfortable. I'm starting to feel a little better about doing this...thanks to everyone's posts. But, on the other hand, I guess it doesn't help that I'm dating a guy who has made it very clear how much he loves large breasts. (Though, I discussed the potential of me having surgery and he supports whatever decision I make). I know that in the end it is my decision...and it is probably the right one...but I'm just scared that I'll be intimate with someone and they'll see the scars and make a big production out of it...and then what will I do? Oh well.

I don't plan on getting this done until late April/early May so I can lose about 20 more pounds. Hopefully by then I'll be completely comfortable with my decision...and get over my huge fear of scars and "frankenboobs." I guess I don't even like how they look now...how much worse can it get? A family friend got this done over a year ago...and she said I could look at her scars if necessary. At first I was a little creeped out...but now I think I'm going to check them out to ease my worries. She, like the rest of you, said it was the best decision she's ever made and she thinks they look a lot better than before.

Sorry for my ramblings...I probably contradicted myself a million times :-P