OK, help me prepare OTR on 12/30

iVillage Member
OK, help me prepare OTR on 12/30
Sun, 12-21-2008 - 7:57pm

Hello,

I've been a lurker for a couple of years and thought I would be for at least one more year, but I found out 3 weeks ago that I was very close to meeting our deductible and after that I'd be covered 100%.

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-22-2008 - 3:54pm
Hi Luna!
I am so excited for you! You will be so happy you had this surgery. Truly the best thing I ever did for myself!!
I was very scared the few days before the surgery and even talked about backing out. I had myself thinking I was being selfish for having this surgery and putting myself at risk. Well my family and friends were so encouraging and they all said, you better do it! I was not given anything to calm me down before surgery. I found once I got into the surgery center and all the wonderful staff helped me out, I was very ready!
Things I would recommend to have on hand. Stool softener, as that was worse than the pain; having no bowel movement for 4 days after surgery and being in pain. Sorry to be graphic, but it was very painful and I learned my lesson!
I used lots of pillows to find comfortable positions in a recliner or bed, whichever is more comfortable for you. The recliner was my friend for the first week. I wore a Playtex 18 hour bra 24/7 for the first two weeks. The PS had me buy one in a bigger size but smaller cup. I was a 40DDD and bought a 42C to wear. It was an ok fit while I still had the bandages on. Once they came off, I wore non stick bandages and also men's cotton tank t shirts under my bra. It was very comfortable and kept the bra cleaner, as I only had 2 (I was just waiting for the day I could buy my new, pretty, first ever Victoria Secret bra!!)I went from a 40DDD to a lovely 38C and love it!!
I would think you would want a bigger size sports bra than you would think. Also front closure, as reaching around back or pulling it over your head will be hard.
I had outpatient surgery and went back the next day to get the drains out, the main bandages removed and he put smaller bandages on and the Playtex bra. I was able to go home and take a shower, but washing my hair was hard. I would bend forward a bit and keeping my arms as close to my side, would wash. You just have to take it very easy with overusing your arms the first couple of weeks. You will feel sore and swell a bit if you do. Listen to your body, it will tell you when to slow down!
I was never really in much pain; it was just uncomfortable the first few days. The second week after, I felt great and started to over do it. And even though my new girls were shaped funny and of course the scars, my husband said I was beautiful, cause he could see how much better I felt about myself. I had friends tell me I looked taller because I was not hunched over anymore. One thing that I am still, 18 months later, amazed at is how I can cross my arms under my boobs and not over them!
I save my money and buy pretty bras now and love wearing button down shirts again and tank tops in the summer. I have lost 26 pounds in the past 5 months and still going and have not really noticed that the girls have changed.
Well that's alot of info for now, but ask more questions if you think of any.
Best of luck to you and have a very Merry Christmas!!
Nancy
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-22-2008 - 4:19pm
Hi and welcome to our board. Nancy did a great job with the info. Thank you Nancy! The only things I can add is to go food shopping right before surgery and buy lots of easily prepared meals and ready to eat foods. I also made sure I had plenty of clean laundry done and I had pre recorded lots of interesting things to watch on my DVR. Good luck and please keep us posted on how you are doing and if you have any questions on concerns. We are all here to help.

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board