Surgery in 4 days, new to board

iVillage Member
Surgery in 4 days, new to board
Thu, 01-01-2009 - 10:13pm

Hi. I'm new to the message board and I have a few concerns and would like some input from your experiences.

My surgery is on Jan 6th and I am feeling really nervous about it.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-02-2009 - 11:23am
Hi!
It is only natural to be nervous. I thought about backing out also, but my friends and family kept reminding me how much I wanted this surgery. Once the day of surgery came, I was more excited to get it done, than nervous and all the nurses and techs were wonderful and really made me feel at ease.
I kept myself busy before with getting the house clean and having plenty of easy to make meals and snacks. Also make sure you have different size pillows around cause, if you are like me, I spent most of my time in a chair/recliner and the pillows were propped up all around to make it comfortable.
Make sure you have a stool softener, cause constipation after anesthesia is the worst; believe me!! I had non-stick gauze ready to put between my bra and incisions and that was very comfortable. Some ladies used Kotex pads, but I found them itchy, all in your preference. You will need something for a week or two, once the bandages are off. My bandages came off the second day, along with the drains coming out, and I was able to take a very careful shower. I think each PS is different though in when all that happens.
Once I was on the road to healing, I wore thin, men's cotton tank t-shirts under my bras and that was very comfortable! I even wore them later when I started back to exercising to absorb the sweat. Not so pretty, but they felt good!
I had my surgery in August of 07. I have since lost 27 pounds and my boobs have not really changed. My band size has a little bit, but not the cup; still a wonderful C cup, down from a DDD.
As far as attending your classes, I think you should be fine, but be careful of carrying anything too heavy or bulky the first 2-3 weeks. It can cause swelling and soreness and also healing problems.
I wasn't allowed to use weights in exercise until 6 weeks, cause of an open wound/healing problem. Just be careful and I am sure your PS will monitor your progress and let you know.
Listen to your body as it heals and rest that first week.
Lots of wonderful advice on these boards; they helped me so much and I now I hope I can help others.
Having the surgery was the BEST thing I have ever done for myself and I am sure you feel that way too!!
Best of luck and keep us posted.
Nancy
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-03-2009 - 6:41pm
Thanks so much. It's good to hear your perspective. Very reassuring. I will definitely keep you posted.
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-05-2009 - 9:34pm

Hi and good luck tomorrow! I will have you in my thoughts and prayers. Nancy as usual as done a great job with helping you to get prepared. As for being nervous I was a wreck the days leading up to the surgery and then on surgery day I was pretty calm. The worst part was just sitting in pre-op for like an hour with nothing going on then the PS walks in and everything from there got started. I thought to myself why did you all have me here at 6:30 when you we not going to do anything till 7:45! Most likely after your PS does your markings they will give you something to relax you and after that you won't rememberer much and really will not care and from there they will put you out. The next thing I can honestly remember is waking up and shaking. I am not sure if anyone else had this side effect but they managed to stop it and gave me morphine as well which helped with the pain. Please keep us posted and I am sorry I didn't get to your message sooner I was having some computer problems over the weekend.

P.S. I think you should be okay to go back to school on time. Keep your back pack light. Wear it on both shoulders and as Nancy stated your body will let you know if you are over doing it. Nancy Thanks so much for all your help you are a god send! My internet was acting funny all weekend and I am so thankfull someone was able to post her on time!

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board

Edited 1/5/2009 9:40 pm ET by cl-cluckymcgee

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-06-2009 - 2:04pm
Katie,
No need to thank me; we are all here to help. I love sharing my story, as having surgery really has changed my life.
I, too had the shakes when I woke after surgery. The nurses were piling on the blankets and soon I was calmed down. Until the nausea, then....well you can guess the rest. But the next day I was much better. No nausea and just a bit sore.
Hope your back is feeling better and thanks for being a great leader on here!
Nancy
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-06-2009 - 7:51pm
Thanks for the compliment Nancy. I love being the CL here and like you I love helping and sharing my story. My back is starting to improve lots of exercises to do at home and my insurance company is now getting a bit fussy so I