5 days post-op

iVillage Member
5 days post-op
Sun, 01-11-2009 - 4:23pm

Hi. I've been meaning to write soon but I just haven't been feeling that great. Since my surgery five days ago, all I can think about is the regret I kind of have for going through with the surgery. Is that normal? I should feel happy, right? That I finally did what I've been wanting for a very long time. It just doesn't seem right. I see these posts where people are full of enthusiasm immediately after surgery. I just don't feel much like celebrating. I can't really sleep because of the pain and my neck and back pain has increased because of the upright position that I have to sleep in.

iVillage Member
In reply to: mvpnk7
Mon, 01-12-2009 - 4:03pm
Wow, sorry to hear you are not having a real positive experience so far. It is major surgery and everyone is different in their recovery. I am glad you have an appointment tomorrow, as hopefully you can get the drains out and get some answers to your questions. Sleeping comfortably is a big problem. I slept the first 2 weeks in a recliner with lots of pillows of varying sizes around me. I also tried to walk around and get some movement which helps the circulation, which may be part of your weird chills, aches, etc. As far as the weird sensations/twinges; they will be around for a while. I am 18 months post op and still get a weird twang every now and then.
After you get the drains out, try sleeping on your side with pillows propped under you and around you. I did that after 2 weeks and it sure made me feel better to lay somewhat flat.
Try to keep your spirits up. Move around, have a friend over, get a new book; try to get your mind off the pain by changing your atmosphere, etc. Try to get some fresh air, even for a few minutes if you are in a cold climate.
It will get better and really, you will find this was a great thing you did for yourself.
Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Nancy
iVillage Member
In reply to: mvpnk7
Mon, 01-12-2009 - 8:52pm
I am so sorry to hear that you are going through a bad spell here. I hope that removing the drains will help. I was an overnight patient and my drains came out before I came home so I really can not give you much advice there. I know that right now you hurt, and that your breasts look funny and that is going to last a bit. The best advice for sleeping I can give you is pain meds with a light snack right before bed that's what seemed to help me the best. Also experiment with positions and you should find one that makes you comfortable. For me it was my right side and the left when I was awake and watching TV We are all here for you for your support and please keep us all posted.

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board