Approved! What can I do to get ready?

iVillage Member
Approved! What can I do to get ready?
Sat, 01-17-2009 - 10:36am
The insurance approved for my surgery February 9th.
I'm getting nervous and keep wondering if I'm doing the right
thing sometimes, but physically my shoulders and back have had it holding
these big girls up for so many years. (I'm 47, 36DDD+) I'm planning
on cooking extra meals and freezing them, but is there anything
else I can do to get ready for this? Thanks so much for this board . . .
it's a wonderful resource -
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-17-2009 - 6:58pm

CONGRADULATIONS ON YOUR APPROVAL.

Sandy
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-17-2009 - 8:25pm
Thanks so much for your post! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers on Tuesday!
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-19-2009 - 8:22pm
Wow there are a lot of things that I did to get ready. I went food shopping right before surgery to make sure I had lots of pre cooked and microwave meals on hand. I also made sure that my boyfriend and I had lots of clean laundry on hand so that wasn't a worry and that we had all the bills paid up.

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-20-2009 - 10:12am
Hi Sandy,
I am so excited for you!
A couple extra things I would add; the worst part of the whole thing for me was very painful constipation from the anesthesia. I highly recommend you have some stool softner (Senekot)on hand and take it as described until you are able to "go". Not a pleasant subject, but really was the worst pain of it all!!
Also I had lots of pillows of all shapes and sizes handy and took one with me for coming home from surgery. It really helped to hold it in my lap and against my chest for any bumps and cushion the seatbelt. I used them to prop myself up and around me in the recliner and then later in bed when I could start laying down. Helped to prop me on my side so I wouldn't roll over on my stomach.
Once I started healing and the bandages were off, I wore men"s thin cotton tank t shirts under my bra for cushion. It really felt nice and I still wore them when I started back to exercise to absorb sweat. Looked a little funny, but felt good. It also helped keep the bra cleaner, as I only had 2 of those ugly things...anxiously awaiting when I could finally wear a pretty one!! You can pick them up at Walmart for cheap pkgs of 3-5.
Best of luck to you. Keep us posted!
Nancy
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-21-2009 - 9:23am

A few things I did were, freezing meals, I bought a few body pillows (which I think about the best thing I did!) bought hoddies and pj's with button up fronts to make it easier to change. Straws and lots of juice because I really didn't want to eat for the first couple of days, and as someone else said I needed a stool softener(I actually had to go off the pain killers one day because the constipation was so bad).

The main thing was giving myself enough time to heal, even if your not in pain you will be shocked at how quickly you tire out, get lots of rest!! Sleeping will be hard but I found if I used a wedge pillow behind me and my body pillows under my arms I could get pretty comfy :-)

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-21-2009 - 10:03pm
Thank you ladies for adding your helpful suggestions I am always afraid I am missing things. This board works wonderfully as a team and I am so thankful for that.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-02-2009 - 8:46pm

Congratulations!