17, BR on March 6. Need tips!

iVillage Member
17, BR on March 6. Need tips!
Sat, 01-24-2009 - 11:51pm

I never thought I'd have a date set for my breast reduction. I have suffered through 6 years of my life, physically and emotionally. On the other hand, I am so excited to be here, on this site, telling my story and asking for tips.

I remember being 11 years old, and waking up one morning to B cup breasts. I never went through training bras, I was instantly propelled into the land of womanly bras. My friends were jealous, but I wasn't too pleased. Bras were annoying, and my breasts brought too much attention. Little did I know, that these breasts were the least of my worries. Over the past 6 years, I have grown to gigantic proportions... I am now a 32E/F. I weigh about 125 pounds and am 5'1". Needless to say, I am a tiny person. I have never had the pleasure of wearing cute bras, tank tops or bathing suits. In the summer, I have always been the one sitting on the beach with the t-shirt & jeans. Most of the time though, I make sure that I'm wearing 3+ layers, with sizes that do not fit me properly anywhere but my boobs. My self-esteem is low.

I have done so much to try to shrink my breasts. At the age of 13, I began to research the procedure and knew that this was the solution to my problems. However, being only a C cup then and entirely too young, my doctor and my parents refused. That wouldn't be the end of my quest for a breast reduction. However along the way I tried several things. I had gone through a bout of anorexia to attempt to shrink them, but got no results (and scared everyone around me). I went through steroids for about 2 months, but stopped when I noticed that the side effects were too much to handle. Finally this year, my mother walked in on me while I was taking off my bra. She gasped when she saw my breasts hanging down to my stomach, the sores and rashes beneath my breast and on my shoulder, and my deeply grooved shoulders. She agreed to finally take me to a plastic surgeon. This was around November 2008.

Well I had my consult in December. Insurance will cover every last penny of the surgery for me, and I have the best PS in the city. I told my PS that I would like to be as small as physically possible. I'm really scared, and lately have been doubting myself. One day I will wake up and say, "one more month till my surgery!" and the next I will wake up and question if I'm doing the right thing. I do believe I'm doing the right thing, because I am sick and tired of the pain I have been through.

Sorry that was a long story. Now I have some questions!
1) I am taking two weeks off school. Is this enough? What should I do when I go back?
2) I was told not to take any Vitamin E. Is this only in supplement form or in foods as well?
3) I will probably be starting my period around the time of the surgery. Is this a concern?

That's all I can think of. Please post ANY tips you have for me! Thank you everyone, I appreciate you reading this and taking the time to respond!!

-Dania
-Dania
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-25-2009 - 3:55pm

Hi Dania and welcome to our little board here and I will try my best to answer your questions.

1) I am taking two weeks off school. Is this enough? What should I do when I go back?

Yes I think that is enough time off from school. I would recommend not having a heavy back pack when you go back since the total healing time for this surgery is several months. Use it over both shoulders or get one that has wheels.

2) I was told not to take any Vitamin E. Is this only in supplement form or in foods as well?

I have heard nothing about not taking any vitamin E. So I really can not answer this one for you sorry.

3) I will probably be starting my period around the time of the surgery. Is this a concern?

No not really. An pain in the but mostly. I had my period during surgery and it did not cause me any problems other than the nursing staff having to check every few hours to see if I need a new pad.

I hope this info helps you, and as always ladies chime in if I have missed something here. Please feel free to post us with any other questions or concerns that you have and please keep us posted in general on how you are doing we are all here to help.

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 3:39pm
I had my reduction on August 8th 2008.
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-17-2009 - 2:09pm

hi dania,

how was your surgery? did everything went well? hope so.. update us.. i will be having mine on the 23rd..

kat