howdy....my "story"

iVillage Member
howdy....my "story"
Sun, 01-25-2009 - 6:24pm

i've known for a long time that i was going to have a breast reduction. when i was in 5th grade, my mom started buying me sports bras (i think she didn't want to admit i needed a real bra)...when i was in 7th grade, i started wearing some bras that my mom had from before she had kids (she's a pack-rat). by 8th grade, i was a 38DD. by senior year, i was a 42DDD. now i'm 26 and measure about a 46J/K. i honestly cannot find a bra that fits. most websites that sell large cup bras are like 32 to 38 band sizes....anything bigger than a 40 usually maxes out at an H cup. the few styles that i've found in "my" sizes are too tall for me - my boobs aren't basketballs sitting on my chest! they're more like kinda droopy water balloons. *hehe*

anyways, i'm also working very hard at losing weight. i've lost about 20 lbs so far. (my band size went down, but i think my boobs actually got a little bigger...dammit!) my goal is to lose at least another 100 lbs and possibly as much as 150 lbs.

i'm at my wits end as far as dealing with my boobs...but i also don't want to have surgery and then need to have something done again in just a few years because of the weight loss. (cuz i'm not accepting defeat on that! if i stop having progress with my weight loss, i'll probably have lap-band surgery in another year or two.) i also hope to have children eventually and i'm concerned about breast feeding (either as-is or post surgery). i'm also concerned about the cost because i don't have health insurance right now.

i'm just sick of all the stuff that goes along with these stupid boobs! i have to either wear a bra that at best is uncomfortable and gives me "muffin tops" or at worst wear one that hurts....or just not wear a bra and look like a slob/slut. my back hurts. i can't buy a bathing suit that fits. my "underboobs" get smelly and sometimes get sores (btw - is underarm deodorant safe for underboobs?). i am demotivated from working out because i can't find sports bras or comfort bras that fit, and i'd rather avoid THAT attention from the "gym guys". my husband wakes me up on a regular basis because he rolls over onto my boob. (talk about a rude awakening!) the list goes on and on.

i'll stop now. i'm getting too worked up i think.

any comments/advice/personal experience would be much appreciated. thanks.

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-27-2009 - 9:51pm
Hi and welcome to our little board. I honestly would wait if you want to lose weight before your breast reduction. I don't know what your weight is but there is also usually a weight limit associated with the surgery. With my insurance if you where more than 50 pounds over weight they would not cover the surgery. I am not sure about other insurance companies. I would also speak to the PS about your concerns about breast feeding. Some woman still can if I have my facts right. I hope I am not raining on your parade to much here. I totally understand your misery. I didn't develop until later. The summer between my sophomore and junior year of high school I went from a B to a DD and I hated the looks and stares and the comments from scummy men. I actually once had some pervert grab me when he had a chance. I wish you all the best of luck and I want to let you know you have the full support of this board. We are here if you have any questions or concerns.

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board