breastfeeding after reduction??

iVillage Member
breastfeeding after reduction??
Thu, 01-29-2009 - 7:03pm

I had my breast reduction at 19 and am almost 28. My DH and I are starting to plan for when we'll have a family (still on birth control right now). I am curious has anyone had experience with breastfeeding after their reduction? Was it successful or painful? I am also curious about what size you returned to? I was always aware that another surgery may be necessary after I am done with child rearing but am curious as to others' experiences.

Thanks for any input!

"There can be no shadow where there shines no sun"
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-29-2009 - 11:03pm

Hi...well, doesn't it depend on how much breast tissue was taken &

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-01-2009 - 8:50pm
Wow what a great response thank you Lanie!

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-06-2009 - 4:09pm
Yes, thank you for your reply. You have had lots of BFing experience. I remember my PS saying it may be possible but given it was so long ago, I'm losing details. I was also wondering if I may fill up with milk in the glands but not be able to express it, like if they are no longer attached to the nipple? I don't know if that's even possible I am becoming much of a worry wart about all things baby! At any rate, I am happy to have had the chance to have my surgery when I did & I will do it again if necessary. I'm preparing myself for the possibility of not being able to BF but of course that's a ways off from knowing. I hope you have a successful surgery! It was the best decision I ever made even though lots of people thought I was too young. Turns out I have continued to grow (as the PS warned would happen because I have such overactive mammary glands) so I can't imagine how big and miserable I'd be if I hadn't done it. It really changed my life. Good luck.
"There can be no shadow where there shines no sun"
Lilypie Maternity tickers