Approved, Now WHAT?

iVillage Member
Approved, Now WHAT?
Thu, 03-26-2009 - 10:51am

Hey Guys,

I wanted to get some candid advise.... I have been scheduled for the op on May 1st... and well I am scared.... Not of the op... but of the recovery.....

I am living w/out my hubby at the moment and I have 2 small kids 4 and 2.... I have help in looking after them but they are very much attached to me.... plus I have work to go back to after 2 weeks..... I guess

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-26-2009 - 1:51pm
Hi!
First, congrats on having your surgery scheduled! It is very normal to be nervous for the surgery and/or the recovery. The biggest thing you will want to remember that for the first couple of weeks, you can not lift anything heavy and that would mean your kids, unfortunately. You really need to limit the movement of your arms. If you overdo it, you can swell, get sore and possibly have complications. You should be fine for going back to work, though after 2 weeks. As for my experience, the pain was not bad. I was uncomfortable, sure, but Tylenol helped that for the first week. If you have help with your kids, that is good. They are pretty young to understand why mommy can't pick them up, but hopefully it will be ok.
I was so glad to have the surgery as I was always known as the girl with the boobs. It was ok when I was younger, but as I got older and they went more "south", it no longer was cool. I now feel more sexier than I did 20 years ago, as my girls are perky and they look straight out! I went from a 40DDD to a 36-38C. Still have plenty, but just enough. I can wear cute bras, tanks, etc.
I would think your surgeon can give you an idea after surgery what size to migrate to. Ask lots of questions; I found the nurses to be almost more helpful than the surgeon. He did not have the greatest bedside manner, but the nurses were amazing and didn't mind phone calls and questions. Don't be shy to ask.
There is lots of helpful info on these boards. I have found I still read them from time to time and check in and my surgery was in August 2007.
Good luck!
Nancy
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-26-2009 - 2:27pm

Thanks Nancy!

I have found a lot of information from this message board... I knew about not being able to lift my kids.... and I do have help with them so that is a good thing....

Did you PS give a size you where going to be after the surgery or did you have to get measured up?? Also how long before you could wear a "cute" bra - I am soo looking forward to that....

Thanks again!

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-27-2009 - 11:24am
Yes, my PS did give me my size before surgery and he was right on the button. About a month after surgery, when I was pretty well healed, I went to Victoria's Secret and was measured and it was a 38C like he said. I bought my first ever VS bra and finally after so many years, felt sexy again. I would say about a month is when you can wear a normal bra. Your PS should give you guidance on when. Some are very different and insist on tight surgical bras for a while. My PS had me buy a Playtex 18 Hour bra in a size 42C for after surgery since I would be swollen. It was lovely(ha-ha) and I had to wear it 24/7 for the first couple of weeks. Around the 3rd week, I started wearing men's cotton tank t's under my bra to prevent rubbing and in case of any leakage or spotting from healing. They were very comfortable!! No underwire for a while, I think I waited about 3 months before wearing them. I can now wear a 36C, as I have lost some weight. I think that is probably where I will stay. I haven't been a C cup since my early 20's and I am 50!! It is wonderful!!
Nancy
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-27-2009 - 11:41am
I brought the white cotton tanks after reading another posting you wrote.... I am thinking of get a sports bra.... and that should last me the few weeks and when I can wear a true bra I will go to VS and buy my first ever VS bra... WOO HOO... I told my DH that I instead to go wild at VS!!! I can get their bras and panties too match.. I am already looking into ones that i like! LOL...
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-27-2009 - 11:42am
I did have one more question... driving... will i be able to drive myself home after the op?
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-27-2009 - 1:32pm

LOL!! That is exactly what I did. Bought the bra and panties to match. First time ever and it felt so good. Yeah, I went a bit crazy that first year after surgery. I bought about 6 new bras from there. I just couldn't resist and my hubby didn't seem to mind!! He saw how good it made me feel about myself and was relieved to not see those white large minimizer bras hanging on the line anymore!! I have 2 sons and I don't know which ones embarrassed them more hanging on the line; the huge ugly ones or the sexy ones!!
You will love those cotton tanks. When I started back to exercising, I would wear them under my sport bras to absorb the sweat. Not a pretty look, but it felt good!! For the first few months if my bras rubbed on my scars, it would bother me a bit.

Anyway... good luck to you on this path!
Nancy

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-27-2009 - 1:43pm

So it isnt just me! And I am sure that my hubby will like seeing the sexy bra's too!!! BTW congrats on the weight loss.... I am worried about my tummy looking bigger too, so