What did it take for you to get approved

iVillage Member
What did it take for you to get approved
Mon, 03-30-2009 - 2:17pm

I just called a PS to set up a consultation and the office manager told me flat out that if I don't go through physical therapy and/or chiropractic care for quite a while, the chance of my insurance covering the surgery is slim to none.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-30-2009 - 2:46pm

Hi~
I had a letter from my gynecologist that supported my pain, etc from my large breasts and then after I saw the PS, he took pictures and also sent along his own notes. I was approved 3 weeks after that. I had Personal Choice insurance at the time. The only out of pocket I paid for the whole surgery was $20 for the first PS appointment. I feel very blessed that I was lucky enough to have everything go so easy. I know some ladies on here have said that they had to lose weight and do all the things you described. My suggestion would be to contact the other PS you were considering and see what they say you need. When I called for an appointment, they didn't say anything about what I would have to do and were very helpful about what would help me get approved after our meeting.
Keep searching and ask your insurance what they require before seeing a PS.

Good luck!!!
Nancy

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-30-2009 - 4:46pm

Definitely bring in any documentation you have that shows that you tried Physical Therapy.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-01-2009 - 9:02pm

Hi there, Sadly some insurance companies require you to go to PT and do other things such as lose weight. I know it's frustrating!

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board