So here we go

iVillage Member
So here we go
Tue, 04-21-2009 - 10:41pm

So, I am about 3 weeks away from my reduction.

iVillage Member
In reply to: meow220031
Thu, 04-23-2009 - 10:14am

Hi Petrified~

Sounds like you have been through the wringer lately, but this should be the easy part.
You should be ok, living by yourself, as long as you get stuff ready before surgery. Have plenty of food on hand, books, movies, etc. You won't really want to over do it the first week and you will probably be tired anyway. The stairs should be ok when you come home, just go easy. Try not to use the handrails, though, as that will probably put pressure on your stitches. Not sure how you are going to get that overnight bag up the stairs. You might want to keep it in your car, if you have one, and wait to bring it up the 2nd week. That first week, you really shouldn't lift anything; even a full coffee pot will be heavy and you will feel it! Make small amounts of coffee, get everything at a low level from top shelves....well you get the idea. Too much arm movement can cause swelling and soreness.
About the pain. I never really had pain, I was just uncomfortable. I took the meds for the first couple days and then was fine with Tylenol, when needed. Sleeping was a bit of a challenge. You really can't lay down, at least on your side. I spent the first week in a recliner and that worked great with pillows propped around me, etc.
It really is an easy surgery to recover from, if you follow your surgeons instructions and really take it easy. Within a few weeks, your new girls will take their shape and you will be amazed at the things you can do. You should feel like you can stand taller and it will hit you one day that you don't need to slump over anymore and you can put your shoulders back and feel good. One of the first things that I noticed, silly as it seems, was I could cross my arms across my front and they went under my boobs, instead of resting on them!!! LOL!!
I am now wearing pretty bras, something I was never able to do; always big and white and ugly.
It is really a great surgery, it has changed my life.
Look back at old messages on here to see other peoples experiences. There are not really too many negatives, but lots of positives!!
Good luck to you, keep us posted!
Nancy

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-23-2009 - 11:46am

Thanks so much for your reply Nancy - you have made me feel a lot better knowing that it's not all bad stuff afterwards.

Has anyone else noticed that most of the time, when you are asking for information about something, everyone remembers all the BAD stuff and nothing of the good stuff.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-23-2009 - 1:55pm

LOL! That is so true! I know it is the same with anything. Everyone wants to one-up you on their horror story. I am a "the glass is always half full" kind of person, so I always try to focus on the positive. I often feel that when someone tells you the negatives, there is a bit of jealousy in the whole thing. I know I had some acquaintances, that when I told them of my surgery, they had those stories and they were not very encouraging. Of course all my family and close friends were my best cheerleaders for it! They were also the ones that were there the couple of days before surgery and I was so scared I wanted to back out...and they gave me all my reasons back at me, as to why I needed and wanted the surgery.

True this is surgery and you will have scars, but I am so happy to "normal" sized boobs, not those beasts I carried around for years. I am 50, soon to be 51, and wish I would have done this 10 years ago. I no longer feel selfconscious if I am caught braless in my jammies.
You will love the new you!!

Nancy

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-29-2009 - 5:27pm
I agree I heard all the scary stories before my surgery and now almost 2 years later I could not be happier with my results. Nancy gave you lots of great tips to get ready for surgery as she always does. She is an excellent help on this board. I also have a third floor walk up and I remember the challenge of the stairs. My stairs are rather steep so I did them slowly one by one it took a few minutes but I didn't want to loose my footing. I didn't have an over night bag and I suggest not taking one. I was told not to the hospital gave me a tooth brush and everything I needed. Good luck and if you have any other questions or concerns just ask we are all here to help.

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-18-2009 - 9:35pm

I wanted to thank everyone for their tips and suggestions.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-20-2009 - 8:37pm
I am glad to hear that things went well and everything you seem to be going through seems to be normal. I understand the misery of not being able to shower. Might I suggest baby wipes they made me feel cleaner than just a face cloth and soap and water. I was an overnight patient and the next morning they brought me some that felt like they had been in a microwave and they where a god send. They are a special kind and I do believe you can buy them in drug stores. Also

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-21-2009 - 1:30pm

Thanks Clucky

An update - I went to have the dressings changed yesterday and I was told that everything is healing perfectly fine - a tiny area that is inflamed, but he (the nurse) said that it was normal and nothing to worry about.