having 2nd thoughts

iVillage Member
having 2nd thoughts
Sun, 04-26-2009 - 11:07pm

Help!

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-26-2009 - 11:56pm

Hi there,

I haven't been on ivillage for a very long time. I read your info and think I may be able to comment.
I am a 52 year old that was in a very similar position size wise at your age. I had the opportunity to have a breast reduction about the same time, but decided to put it off since I was moving out of state. Well...many years later I have finally had it. December of last year. All those extra years of carrying that weight around. I can tell you, that you probably will always need the surgery even if you did lose a ton of weight. I lost 60 pounds and they were still huge. I don't regret having it done one bit. Yes, at first I did notice my stomach a lot and still do some. But at least now I can exercise easier to work on that part.

About the 1 week off, I would highly recommend giving yourself 2 wks, especially where you have to do some bending in your job. It took me almost 2 wks just to have the drains empty out. You sure don't want to go in full time at least!

I encourage you to do it. I wish you the best. If you have any questions at all, just ask.

Cindy

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-27-2009 - 10:35am

I can related.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-27-2009 - 3:45pm
I know it is a scary idea, but this surgery is the best thing I ever did for myself. I did really notice how big my belly was after surgery. Most of us discover this! But since, I have been working on it and now without those big beasts, it certainly is easier to exercise. I was overweight when I had the surgery and my PS did not seem to think it was a problem. I did exercise before surgery, but I felt so much better about myself after wards, that is was even easier. I went from a 40DDD to a 36-38C and lost almost 4 lbs. in boobs!!
I agree that 2 weeks is a good time off work if you do a lot of bending over, lifting, or just lots of movements. I found after a week, that the first few times I drove, my chest got swollen and sore. You really have to be careful about arm movements. Your boss may be able to give you "light" duty, if you go back after a week or so. I would say by week 3 I felt really good and started to over do it. Your body will definitely let you know if you are!
You really sound like a good candidate for this surgery. Don't back out - do it now while you are young!! I wish I would have done it when I was 35, but I kept chickening out and feeling like it was a selfish thing to do. Yes it is selfish, but in a good way!!
Good luck!
Nancy
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-29-2009 - 5:50pm
Hi Brooke I hope your surgery went well today!

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board