Just found this board

iVillage Member
Just found this board
Tue, 04-28-2009 - 1:58pm

I have been considering this procedure seriously for years, but am just starting to look into it. How do you get started? Questions are: Finding a surgeon in my area; whether or not insurance will cover it; how much smaller do you go and how do you decide.

Sorry if this has all been covered already. If so, please point me to a FAQ.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-29-2009 - 5:44pm
Hi and welcome to our little board here. I will try to answer your questions the best I can. I would call your GP to get a referral a PS in your area. Most insurance companies will cover the surgery as long as you are not obese, suffering from back and neck problems and are willing to have at least 1000 grams (about 2 pounds total) removed. As for the size that is the hard part I went from a DD to a C and I am very happy with that decision. Some woman on this board have gone bigger and some smaller. I would talk to the PS to see what size he or she recommends. Good luck and if you have any other questions or concerns please post us we are all here to help.

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-30-2009 - 10:34am
I had been thinking about the surgery for a while and finally mentioned it one year at my annual GYN appt. She jumped at the thought of me doing it, saying I was the perfect candidate and she recommended a local surgeon. Turns out, once I started asking around I found out that 3 other people I knew had experiences, all good, with this surgeon. My GYN was the doctor who wrote an awesome, supportive letter to the insurance company and also once I made an appt. with the PS, he took pictures and also sent a letter. I was approved for the surgery within 3 weeks. Then you just have to wait til the surgeon has an opening and also for when you can take off work/school for at least a week if not 2. Also having someone around the first few days after surgery is a great help.
Good luck with the process ~
Nancy