Starting the journey

iVillage Member
Starting the journey
Sat, 09-19-2009 - 4:59pm

Well I've made the decision to have a breast reduction. I'm 25 and was going to wait until I had my second child, but the weight of my chest is unbearable. I am also starting to have more problems breathing, has anyone else experienced this? I feel like I just can't get enough air into my lungs.
Currently I am a 38 E (though I should probably be up another size or so yet...) and am 5'3".

Does anyone know where to start? Should I just make an appt with a plastic surgeon? Will they help with the insurance stuff? I can't afford to have it done if ins won't help pay for it.

I am also about 40 or so pounds overweight and am wondering if losing some weight will help me get the procedure covered. I've been thin though, and my breasts were just as big as they are now :(
Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-21-2009 - 4:04pm

Hi!
You are on your way to a wonderful, happy and pain free you!

I started my journey by first talking it over with my gyn doctor. She was very supportive and suggested I make an appt. with a surgeon that she suggested. Turns out I knew 2 other girls that had breast surgery by him and were very pleased. So I set up an appt. with him and within 2 weeks I was on my way! His office did all the leg work for me as far as my insurance. I also had my gyn doctor write a letter of recommendation and send it off to the PS. Within 3 weeks or so, I had my letter of acceptance. I, too was about 30-40 pounds overweight at the time, but it never seemed a problem. I think all insurance companies are different and have different criteria that must be met. It might not hurt to just give them a call and see what that is.
I never had the breathing problems that you describe, but certainly all the other ones; neck/shoulder pain, grooves, back pain and just plain disgusted with trying to find clothes that fit. I couldn't exercise comfortably without a supportive bra and then a sport bra over top. I started my journey a 40DDD and am now a very happy 38C. It has helped me lose weight and feel so much better about myself.
Please keep in touch and let us know how you are making out and if you have any questions along the way.

Nancy

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone. ~Reba McEntire
I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love, and abundance. Then, whenever doubt, anxiety, or fear tries to call me, they will keep getting a busy
signal - and soon they’ll forget my number.
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-23-2009 - 9:21pm
I had my gyn and family physician both write letters of recommendation...then made an appointment with PS. The PS