surgery date

iVillage Member
surgery date
Fri, 09-25-2009 - 4:49pm

My surgery date is Oct 19. Now what all do I need to do to get ready? What clothes should

iVillage Member
In reply to: ladydlc
Mon, 09-28-2009 - 12:00pm

That is great that you are scheduled so soon!! Some have to wait weeks.

Now lets see if I can answer some of your questions.
Things to get ready. Hopefully you will have someone at home with you for the first week or so. You won't be able to lift really anything for a couple of weeks and arm movement will be restricted. So think about how you use your arms in your daily routine and figure a way to make it easier to do them while healing. Move anything high (on shelves, etc.) to lower more easier access. Have some meals or easy to make meals on hand. Have your cleaning done. I used lots of different size pillows to prop up on and be more comfortable in chairs, bed, etc. I "slept" the first week in a recliner, as laying down was not comfortable and you can't lay on your side for awhile. Have some shirts, jammies, that button down or zip up since you won't want to put your arms up over your head. As far as a bra, every PS has different ideas on this. I have heard some ladies are bound up for a week, some can wear sports bras, some surgical bras; mine had me wear a certain size Playtex 18 hour for the first 2 weeks. He told me a size bigger than I was so it would be comfortable and fit over the bandages. I found a wonderful hint on here that was my favorite. I bought mens cotton tank t-shirts in the packs and wore them between my skin and bras. It looked funny, but was really comfortable; kept the bra from digging in and kept the bra cleaner, as I didn't want to have too many of them to THROW AWAY when the time came!!
Have a pillow for the ride home from the hospital to put between you and the seat belt; it helps! Also have some stool softener on hand and take it, as constipation can be a big problem with the anesthesia and pain meds. Believe me.....
I had some movies rented, magazines and books, snacks, plenty of fluids, things to keep me busy while I was resting.
Some women used maxi pads in their bras to absorb any leakage from the sutures. I found them uncomfortable and used sterile gauze pads that I would lightly tape on and then put on the cotton tank and it was very comfortable and absorbing.
As I think of things, I will let you know and let me know if you have any questions. Hopefully others who have had the surgery can weigh in also on some things. I am sure I have left some good hints out.

Nancy

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone. ~Reba McEntire
I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love, and abundance. Then, whenever doubt, anxiety, or fear tries to call me, they will keep getting a busy
signal - and soon they’ll forget my number.
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-28-2009 - 3:43pm
Were you able to brush your hair and teeth after surgery?
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-28-2009 - 3:56pm

Well yes, pretty much. Now I have short hair, so that part was easy, but you will learn how to do that and brush your teeth without using your arms too much after a couple times. You just want to be careful. Also, when you can start showering, lean your head forward and you can wash your hair by keeping your arms by your side and washing. The first week, it was a little tough, but you will soon find your groove. And then you can slowly start using your arms. Overuse of the arms can cause swelling and soreness. When I did, I grabbed a bag of frozen peas and put them around my boobs. My boys would tease and say they will never eat frozen peas again!!

Nancy

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone. ~Reba McEntire
I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love, and abundance. Then, whenever doubt, anxiety, or fear tries to call me, they will keep getting a busy
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-18-2009 - 9:11am
Thanks for all the advice. The big day is tomorrow. I can't believe it has only been 7 weeks since my first consultation. My PS said he didn't care what type of bra I wore so I bought some sport bras that snap in the front. But I read on a web site that sport bras put too much pressure on you and to buy Playtex 18 hour bras. Now I don't know what to wear. Even if I buy an 18 hour bra, there are so many styles and I have no idea what size to buy. I am 42 DD now...don't know what
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 11:21am

Well by now you have had your surgery and are on your way to healing.
I am sorry I did not get to your message earlier. My PS did have me buy the Playtex 18 hour bra in a bigger size than what I was to be. I was a 40DDD, going down to a 38C, so he told me to get a 42C. It was of course big, but held the girls in well with the bandages, etc.

Wish I was close by for ya, I could shop for you and visit. Hope to hear from you soon!!

Nancy