Scheduled a consult

iVillage Member
Scheduled a consult
Sun, 09-27-2009 - 9:36pm

I've posted a few times here in the past, none too recently. After thinking about this for years, I finally decided that I am ready to do this. I scheduled a consult for next month. Now what? What should I expect? What should I ask? I have a history of blood clots, and I'm afraid that this might make surgery for me a no-go. How do I broach the topic?

Thanks!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
In reply to: heket
Mon, 09-28-2009 - 4:19pm

Congrats! You took the first step.

First I don't really know about the blood clots; certainly the first thing to bring up with the surgeon. Other things you will go over and do at your first meeting (I will share what happened at mine) first he spoke to me about why I wanted this and then told me his thoughts while looking at my 'beasts'. Then he told me what he could do for me, what size he thought would look good on me and exactly what the surgery would entail. Then he took pictures (fun) and said he would send all the info to the insurance company. I also had a very good letter that my gyn wrote in support of my having the surgery. You can also ask the doctor the cost, the recovery, limitations, etc. When you are approved, you will go back for your consult and to set up surgery time. That is a good time to ask about showering, staying over in the hospital, what kind of bra/clothes to bring to surgery, meds, and anything else.
As I think of things, I will post them or maybe some other members on here can help you out with their stories/advice.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Nancy

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone. ~Reba McEntire
I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love, and abundance. Then, whenever doubt, anxiety, or fear tries to call me, they will keep getting a busy
signal - and soon they’ll forget my number.
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-28-2009 - 4:21pm

Just thought of something else might relate to the blood clots...I was not allowed to take Ibuprofen for 2 weeks before the surgery because of something about the blood. Don't remember exactly what for, though.

nancy

I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love, and abundance. Then, whenever doubt, anxiety, or fear tries to call me, they will keep getting a busy
signal - and soon they’ll forget my number.
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-28-2009 - 6:43pm
Thank you Nancy for the tips. I'm so excited/nervous to get this over with, I wish my appointment was even sooner. As for the Ibuprofen, I think the reason why they would suggest not to take it would be because Ibuprofen can thin your blood a little bit. And if that's the case, it's probably overkill - lots of doctors do c-sections on patients that are on Lovenox and Heparin and I actually had an OB joke with me about this before, how plastic surgeons won't let you take even an aspirin or ibuprofen LOL. Anyway, that's what I'm worried about - I had a clot in the past, I haven't been found to actually have any clotting disorders, but regardless doctors want to treat me as if I may have a disorder. So that means anytime I'm pregnant, post-partum, or post-op, they want me to be on Lovenox or other blood thinners. I'm guessing that she'll either flat out say no she doesn't want to take the risk, or I will end up having to be on Lovenox afterwards. We shall see. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and praying that this works out.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket