"SCARED"

iVillage Member
"SCARED"
Mon, 10-26-2009 - 1:52pm

My surgery is in 10 days.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-26-2009 - 4:21pm

Hi!

Wow, I have have been on these boards for 2 years now and can't really remember anyone saying the pain was excrutiating!! Some have a harder time than most, but in general, most of it look at it as uncomfortable. I would say the worst part for me was having the drains removed and the constipation from surgery. I was on pain meds for the first 4 days then realized, I didn't really need them and took Tylenol for the next few days and was fine after that. I would have to say that the majority of women on here have had the same experience with pain that I had. I think it also depends on if you have lipo on the sides as some women do. But really I was just mainly uncomfortable that first week and then it got better each day with the 2nd week. Please don't let her scare you!!! Maybe she has a low pain threshold, over did it the first few days....hard to say, but I would go through it again in a minute, that is how wonderful I feel about my new girls. It literally changed my life for the better and I think a lot of women on here would agree with me. I think in those 2 years, I read one post from someone who was regretting having it done, but she had some complications and after they healed she was so glad she did it. So that is one out of hundreds. So go back and read some past posts and you find the one thing everyone agrees on - this was the best thing I have ever done for myself!!

Stay in touch and don't hesitate to post often, whenever you have a fear, question or just want to chat!!

Nancy

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-26-2009 - 5:00pm
I had my surgery last week and never took any pain meds at all, except for tylenol for a headache. The swelling was a little uncomfortable but not painful. The day before my surgery, I got the jitters and wondered if I was doing the right thing. The morning of the surgery, I was nervous but kept reminding myself how much I wanted this procedure. I am so glad that I did not back out. It has only been one week and I feel great. I actually felt pretty good the day after the surgery and have gotten better each day. I slept a lot on the day of the surgery and didn't notice any pain...just a little sore. I know this is a scarey time for you, but it will be well worth it and I seriously doubt if you have much pain.
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-01-2009 - 10:56am

Hi. I had my surgury done 3 years ago, and I can honestly say that I would never do it again! The pain was herendous and I had complications with

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-01-2009 - 7:26pm

Wandering soul~

So sorry to hear you had such a bad experience! I hope one day you can say it is all behind you and get your scars fixed. With any surgery there are risks and bad outcomes and unfortunately you experienced this.

I hope it doesn't scare away ladies from having the surgery as I feel it has literally changed many womens' lives for the better. I know it has for me and many that I know that have had it. The majority of women who have had the surgery do not suffer from horrible pain. I am really sorry to hear you did. That must have been maddening to not even have Percocet help.

Thank you for sharing your experience as we should hear the good with the bad when making these decisions.

Nancy

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-02-2009 - 11:55pm

I am not canceling my surgery, there is always the good and the bad.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-03-2009 - 10:01am

Good to hear that you are ready!! I didn't notice a stool softener in that list of meds..just a suggestion. The anesthesia really plays havoc on your bowels. Trust me, that was the worst part of having the surgery for me.

You really have to listen to your PS about how long and what to wear after surgery. I had to wear something 24/7 for the first month. That first couple of nights after that, when I didn't wear a bra to bed, it felt really weird and I ended up wearing a sport bra for the next month. It was a security thing partly, but I also think it helped keep everything "in". It is really important to keep the girls supported that first month. And not to over do it the first few weeks. Keep arm movement at a minimum. If you don't you will feel it. I did the second week and had to remind myself, that even though I felt good, my body was still going through some major healing. Listen to it!

Hopefully you won't need all that pain medicine. After the 4th day, Tylenol was all I took and that just helped take the edge off. Never had bad pain and hopefully that will be your experience also.

Good luck on Thursday. I will be thinking about you. When you get a chance, let us know how you are making out.
God Speed~

Nancy

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-30-2009 - 10:44pm

I had little to no pain at all. I still have a full bottle of Percocet from my surgery. I took some ibuprofen once in a while. I don't consider myself to have a high pain tolerance either. The two other women I know who had the surgery had very little pain either. Good luck. This surgery has been the best decision of my life.

Just think--whats worse: a few days of pain from surgery, or 30+ years of back, neck, shoulder, and emotional pain without getting

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-05-2009 - 9:48pm
I am 4 weeks post op and so far so good.