scaring

iVillage Member
scaring
Thu, 10-29-2009 - 9:35pm

Today, I saw my PS for my 5 week check up. Everything is healing fine except an area where one of my stitches got infected under the skin because it had worked it way to the surface. He scraped, cut the stitch out, placed a band aid on it and advised me not to use Neosporin any longer.

I questioned him about what I can use to minimize the scaring and when I can begin using something. He told me that I don't have to use anything and that is what the bra is for - then he walked out of the room. WHAT???!!!! Do you think he means that the bra will cover the scars and not to even worry about what they look like? Or maybe the sports bras he has me wearing have magical power! LOL!!!!

Anyway, when did the rest of you begin using coco butter or any other type of scar minimizing lotions? How often should they be used?

iVillage Member
In reply to: hsiburt
Fri, 10-30-2009 - 9:20am
My PS had me buy silicone strips online (not at drug store...they're not as good). They are called ScarFX. Google it and look for the ones for breast. It has a circle for nipple and anchor for underneath.
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-01-2009 - 7:16pm

Wow, sounds like your doctor doesnt want to be bothered with you anymore. Crazy!

I started using the thick cocoa butter and the lotion by the 5th week or so, so I would say you are good to go if you want to start. Everything should be pretty well closed up, just be careful of that one spot. I would use the thick gooky cocoa butter at night; rub it in my hands to soften up and the rubbed it all over the scar areas. In the morning before I got dressed I used the cocoa butter lotion with vitamin e and I really think those 2 things helped my scars soften up and heal better. I used it religously for about a year and still use the lotion at times

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-01-2009 - 8:38pm
Thank you both very much for your replies. I began using Palmers coco butter Saturday night. I actually thought the exact same thing Nancy (that he doesn't want to be bothered any longer).
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-30-2009 - 10:38pm

I bet when your PS said that the bra will help w/scarring, they meant that they will firmly support your breasts to prevent the incision from widening too much--which is what would cause a more noticeable scar.

I use a Queen Helene 100% cocoa butter stick and sometimes Palmer's cocoa butter cream/lotion. I think I started using it as soon as my incisions were closed and not scabbing. Maybe 2 months post op? I can't quite remember.

My scars look great--you can barely see the ones going down the front of my breasts. The scars underneath are still noticeable, but I can tell that they're going to look fine with more time. I'm 6.5 months post-op.

Scarring was my #1 concern when I went into the surgery, and, I'm very satisfied with the results. My breasts are a great shape, the areolas are proportionate, and I feel like they look better than they did before surgery.

Best of luck with your journey :)