iVillage Member
Lots of Questions
Sat, 12-12-2009 - 10:26am

Hi:

This is my first time posting.

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-14-2009 - 2:58pm

Hi!!
Well welcome to the boards! So glad you found them. I know for me when I was starting my search like you, these boards were a God send!!!
Hopefully I can help you with some of your questions and others can also!
I'll just go right on down the list~
I started out as a 40DDD and am now a 38C. (and loving it!!)
My surgery took about 3 hours. I went in at 7:30am, came out at around 10:30 - 11am and was home by 1:30pm. I really wished I could have stayed overnight, but I had the surgery in a surgical center, not hospital. I was really groggy and a bit sick from the anesthesia, so it would have been nice to stay. But I was ok by the next day.
From the first consult I had with my PS to the okay by the insurance company, about 3-4 weeks. I was then able to schedule my surgery for a month and a half after that. I had my surgery August 7th, 2007.
Questions to ask... what size will I be able to go down to? Will I need lipo on the sides? What will I need to wear home and the first month after? How is the surgery done,(ask him to describe it in detail; I had no idea)Pain...meds after...work...lifting..driving - these are all things he should discuss with you, maybe not at first but before surgery.
I was out of work for a week and went back 1/2 days the next. It did take a toll on me, as I work in an office. But by the 3rd week I was good, just no pushing in heavy file drawers or lifting heavy boxes,etc. Driving did bother me the first couple weeks; really anything where you use your arms too much. That can cause swelling and other problems. Just have to make sure and listen to your body - it will tell you when it has had too much!
It will take about 1 month for your breasts to start taking their true shape and by the 3rd month, they will be well healed and should look pretty good. I wore smaller clothes pretty soon afterwards, as it was summer and I was excited to wear tank tops finally!! You will find you want to wear smaller clothes. The first couple of weeks you will be most comfortable in button down, zip up, type clothes, as lifting your arms up hurts.
Regrets? NONE!!!! I would do it again in a minute!! There was not much pain, just discomfort and the rewards I have had since outweigh any negatives!! I can now exercise so much easier, I even run a little and I don't have to wear 2 bras and sports bras on top of each other!!!!
My husband was very supportive, thank goodness, and now says that more than a handful is a waste!!LOL! Even my sons, now 19 and 22, saw how happy I was and were thrilled for me. I have had people say I look taller and prouder and I feel it!! The only thing...beware of the belly that will appear after the shadow of the beasts leave!! Many of us have wondered where it comes from!!!
Ok so now I better stop before I get in trouble here at work...LOL!!! I am just so passionate about this. It really made a huge difference in my life.
Good luck to you on the journey and don't hesitate to ask more questions. When you get approved, come back on for suggestions on what to have ready for surgery.

Nancy

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-14-2009 - 7:54pm

Hi:

Thank you SO much for all the info.

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-15-2009 - 3:38pm

Glad to help!!

My friends were very supportive as were my relatives. I did have a few older men in my life wonder why I thought I needed to put myself through it, but I just think it was their old fashioned thinking, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!! Little did they realize, how almost broke my back, neck and shoulders were!! I was always the one in my group of friends that was envied for my big boobs. But as the years crept up, and the boobs crept downward, not so much. Now I am envied again but because they are perky and not droopy like theirs!! But they supported me 100%! I did not tell many people in my church and as I started wearing clothes in smaller sizes, many commented on how I had lost weight, etc. Well I would say thank you cause I did lose almost 4 pounds of boobage!!
I can understand your husbands mixed emotions, mine went through the same thing. I think he was just really worried about the surgery itself. He sees how happy I am now and loves the Victoria Secret bras I wear!! (something I never could wear before)
Always here to chat....
Nancy

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-08-2010 - 1:09pm

Hi: