Surgery in one week!!!

iVillage Member
Surgery in one week!!!
Mon, 01-04-2010 - 4:31pm

Hi All,

I'm 29 years old and I am new to this board and really hope you ladies can give me some tips.

I am scheduled for surgery one week today and although I have been very positive and excited throughout the whole process, today I had my first experience of being terrified of surgery.

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-05-2010 - 2:41pm
Hi!
I hope I can help you with your anxiety and questions. I was scared to death the week before surgery, like you, but my family and friends reminded me how much I wanted to have this done. I am glad I listened to them. I was 49 at the time and a 40DDD. I am now 51 and a perky and lovely 38C and I and my husband love them!!! As far as gaining weight after surgery, you will instantly lose a few pounds!!LOL!I was active before, but after a couple of days, I was walking to keep moving. Just have to watch with your arm movement the first few weeks.
Ok, now lets get to your questions...

Is it normal to have these anxieties before surgery? yup, absolutely!! It is surgery, but if you are confident with your surgeon, it will all go so easily.

How long after surgery can I expect to get back to exercise? I was back to regular exercise at 4 weeks and could use my hand weights at 6 weeks. I just had to be careful with any extra arm movements, as that can delay healing, cause swelling and soreness.

How long do the scars take to heal? I would say with a few weeks you should be healing nicely. They never go away, but fade pretty much within 6-8 months. If you are like me, I really didn't care about the scars so much; I was just so glad to be rid of my "beasts!" As soon as the PS okayed it, I was using cocoa butter with vitamin e to help healing and scarring.

How long after the Op do you get the bandages off? I got my bandages off the day after and was allowed to take a shower then..(NICE!!) I do see some ladies were different in their time frames, though. I had drains in for only the first 24 hours, but some had theirs in longer. All depends on the drainage, I guess.

How long after surgery is it safe to have children? (not that I am planning any anytime soon..) this question I am not sure about...my niece had 2 children about 5 years after her surgery and was able to breast feed both of them.

and sorry for this one but......how does it feel the first time you are intimate with your partner following surgery? Do you think the op has changed anything? Well, I had sensation in my nipples, not the same as before, but still there. And my husband loved the new handful of boobs. He said more would be a waste now!!! I actually felt sexier after surgery, cause they weren't huge and hanging down and I have been wearing cute bras ever since. My very first Victoria Secret bra!! I know have about 8 of them!!! Quilty pleasure~
I know the how idea is scary, but believe me, if you polled all the women that had this surgery, you would probably get a 99% satisfaction rate!! I would guess the 1% had too high expectations or just too many problems/bad surgeon.
So anyway...keep us posted and feel free to ask more questions.
Nancy
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-05-2010 - 2:56pm
Also, let us know your before size and what you hope to have after. It is always nice to know the many different sizes of the women considering and or having the surgery.
:) Nancy
I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love, and abundance. Then, whenever doubt, anxiety, or fear tries to call me, they will keep getting a busy
signal - and soon they’ll forget my number.
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-05-2010 - 4:06pm

Hi Nancy,

Thank you sooo much for your very detailed and informative response.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-07-2010 - 3:51pm

You are so welcome! I had many of my fears calmed and answered on these boards and that is why I still like to be a part of them.

Can I give you a couple of hints of things to have for after surgery? Zip type hoodies or button down shirts, a pillow for the ride home to hold in between you and the seat belt, lots of various pillows to help prop you while sitting up or if you are able to lie down so you don't roll on your side, things within reach; you don't want to have to stretch to reach anything the first couple of weeks. Hopefully you won't be alone, but if you will be, just have food and stuff at your ready and easily accessible. Also, not a fun subject, but I became very constipated from the anesthesia and the pain meds and wow, what pain!!! So I recommend you have a stool softener ready to take regularly the first few days. Better safe than sorry, like I was.
I was told what kind of bra to have for when I got my bandages off; not sure if your PS will be specific but a hint I read on here that was my favorite was to wear cotton tank t-shirts. The ones that men wear, you can buy them in 3 packs, cheap, and I would wear that under my bra for the first few weeks. Kept my bra from sticking to the stitches, kept my bra clean, as I wasn't about to go buy a whole bunch of new ugly ones, and I could easily wash the tanks. It was actually very comfortable and kept things from digging into the sensitive areas of my sutures. By far my favorite tip. Of course it looked a little strange....but at the point I didn't care. I knew it would all be worth it in the end!!
If I think of anything else or if anyone else wants to make suggestions, hopefully you will be ready!!
Good luck and keep us posted!!
:) Nancy

I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love, and abundance. Then, whenever doubt, anxiety, or fear tries to call me, they will keep getting a busy
signal - and soon they’ll forget my number.