When does swelling go down??

iVillage Member
When does swelling go down??
Tue, 01-19-2010 - 3:28pm

I am about 5 weeks post op. I know total swelling doesnt go completely away for several months. but wondering how long until the side swelling dissapates?

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-19-2010 - 9:11pm

Hi!

First off let me answer the bra size question. I was a 40DDD before surgery. My PS had me purchase a Playtex 18 hour bra, size 42C for after surgery. I was thinking, why bigger, but it was because of the swelling and comfort. Once the swelling went down I was and still am in a 38C. The swelling can last a couple of months and if you overdo it with your arms this will cause the swelling like you said. Try putting some ice on the sides at night for about 15-20 minutes. I found that bags of frozen peas worked well and conformed to the areas.

Before surgery my left breast was bigger than my right. Now my right one is bigger. I guess he took more off the left cause of the obvious size difference but not enough to match it on the right. I can only imagine how hard it must be to match them up exactly while you are laying on the table! I still don't care, though, as i love my girls anyway.

I think I wore that Playtex bra for about 5-6 weeks and then went and had myself measured at my local dept. store and measured a 38C and got my first nice new pretty bra. By 7-8 weeks post op, I had 2 Victoria Secret bras (no underwire) and was a really happy girl! My husband didn't seem to mind the expense!!LOL!

you should start to notice the swelling go down and your true size come through. I would go and get measured and /or try on a couple of different size bras and you might be surprised you are already smaller than the bra you have on. You have to come to feel comfortable in it and maybe don't need that size anymore.

Let me know how your making out - good luck!!

Nancy

I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love, and abundance. Then, whenever doubt, anxiety, or fear tries to call me, they will keep getting a busy
signal - and soon they’ll forget my number.