after surgery

iVillage Member
after surgery
Sat, 02-06-2010 - 5:29pm

I am so excited to finally have my surgery scheduled for March 3. I am wondering about weight loss after surgery. I am a little overweight and I am scared that with my "girls"gone, it will make me look bigger. Did any one else feel this way? Or did you feel like with the reduction that you looked better and a little thinner?

iVillage Member
In reply to: cmcoduto
Sat, 02-06-2010 - 7:33pm

Dont worry too much.. Im 9 days post op with my reduction.. They are now a size B down from a DD.. I have half the breast I had before surgery and they look awesome.. I am a few lbs over weight also.. Yes < I notice my stomach a bit more, but all in all everyone keeps saying "Did you lose a lot of weight lately?" I look so much smaller now that the ladies are once again small girls.. I look 10 lbs lighter immediatly after surgery, NO KIDDING!

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-07-2010 - 9:04am

Hi!
I was a little overweight before surgery and after was told that it looked like a lost a lot of weight. Of course, I did lose almost 4 pounds of boob, but also I think a lot had to do with the fact that I was standing taller and did not have that horrible weight hunching me forward. It was such a great feeling!! I have since lost 25 pounds since surgery and my girls still look the same and are wonderful. Of course one problem I discoverd and many women who have the surgery discover, is that hidden belly under your boobs. You kind of go, where did that come from? LOL! But really, having the weight of those beasts gone, you should find it easier to exercise and all and hopefully will be able to lose some of that weight. I am 51 and the weight loss did not affect my girls. They are still perky and wonderful and 2 1/2 years since surgery.
Good luck March 3rd!! It really isn't such a bad recovery as long as you take it easy and listen to your PS and your body. It will tell you when to settle down.
Ask questions and keep us informed after surgery how you made out!

Nancy

I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love, and abundance. Then, whenever doubt, anxiety, or fear tries to call me, they will keep getting a busy
signal - and soon they’ll forget my number.
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 10:13pm

Hello, I had my surgery on March 10 and am feeling pretty good. I do still have a lot of soreness on my sides from where the drains were. Is this normal? I also am having trouble sleeping on my back all the time. When were you able to sleep on your sides again? I saw the doctor today and he said I am healing nicely. This board was very helpful.

thanks

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 10:23am
Hi!
Glad you are feeling pretty good, that is great for only a week post op!! Yes it is totally normal for the drain areas to be sore; at least it was for me. That is the one part that was sore the longest and when he took out the drains, the most painful part of the whole process!
Sleeping on your back is hard. I am a side sleeper and it was hard for me to adjust. I sort of 'slept' the first week or so in a recliner. Then when I went to the bed, I propped lots of different size pillows around me and sort of slept on my side...kind of had soft pillows under my chest. It wasn't the most comfortable, but I after a couple nights I got used to it. Some ladies used those big body pillows to kind of snuggle up to. They have them at Walmart.
Good luck with this and keep us posted on how you are making out. Remember to listen to your body and don't over use your arms too much!
Nancy
I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love, and abundance. Then, whenever doubt, anxiety, or fear tries to call me, they will keep getting a busy
signal - and soon they’ll forget my number.
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-20-2010 - 12:06am

The soreness is normal and in my experience passes pretty quickly.

As for sleep, I found it difficult as well. I tried sleeping in a recliner but just ended up not sleeping, period. And it made me so miserable and my back was killing me just from not sleeping somewhere proper. My doctor had actually prescribed Lunesta before I had the surgery, but I didn't want to take it. Well, I told her how I was feeling and she insisted I give it a try. I did, and I'm glad for it - it really helped. If you are having alot of trouble, maybe you could ask for a sleep aid. I had been worried about becoming addicted or something to that effect, but there was no such thing. Just very restful sleep while I needed it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket