free nipple grafting

iVillage Member
free nipple grafting
Sat, 02-20-2010 - 2:35pm
I had breast reduction with free nipple graft on the 27th of Jan.. Anyone out there with any advice? I cannot find pics to see if all looks well, and keep wondering if I am healing like I should
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-22-2010 - 9:41pm

H!

I too had the free nipple graft. I must say they looked really kind of strange for a while. It worried me too, but as the healing took place, they slowly started looking normal. Rememember they really seem to stand out as they are the first you see and if you are like me, they are now facing forward instead of down - LOL!

The healing does take a while; be patient. When your surgeon says it is ok, rub in some cocoa butter to your incisions and massage lightly. This helps with minimizing the scars.

Also be careful to not over do it. The first month is crucial for healing and doing too much can cause swelling.

My nipples now look so great and normal and right in proportion to the rest of my perky and small boobs.

Good luck with your healing and don't hesitate to ask any more questions.

Nancy

I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love, and abundance. Then, whenever doubt, anxiety, or fear tries to call me, they will keep getting a busy
signal - and soon they’ll forget my number.
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-24-2010 - 12:42am

Hi there, I'm new to this board but not new to wanting a BR. I've actually been wanting a BR for about 15 yrs now. When I first talked to the doctor about it he suggested I wait until after I have children in case I wanted to BF them. I am so happy I waited because I did have 4 munchkins and nursed them all. However I weaned my youngest one early last year and I've spent the rest of the time trying to get my doctor to refer me to a PS.

This last Feb. I finally got the referral. The PS agreed I needed a BR. And we waited for the insurance to approve/deny me. Finally I got a call 2 weeks ago saying they were going to schedule the surgery because the IC (insurance Co) wouldn't approve/deny w/out a date of surgery. I was ecstatic when they scheduled me for the 16th of this month. I'd waited so long for this surgery...On the morning of the 14th I got a call from the PS's office saying while I was getting approved they couldn't do the surgery because they weren't contracted with my IC. *sob* Needless to say, I have yet another appointment on the 29th of April with a different PS that is contracted with my IC (I checked this time lol).

I am currently a 38J. I suffer from severe/chronic back/neck pain, shoulder grooves, carpol tunnel syndromes (with no carpol tunnel according to the multiple tests I've had over the years) and the back pain causes me to get migraines - some of which will have me bed bound for up to 4 days. Initially I wanted to go down to a C cup and the initial PS said I could but I'd need the free nipple graft. I thought I was ok with that. However, after the week when I thought the surgery was finally going to happen, I began to rethink that. I don't want to loose nipple sensation! (If that's selfish I'm sorry lol) So I'm curious - those of you that have had the nipple grafting done, did you loose all nipple sensation?

I'm going to ask the new PS if maybe I can go to a D cup and maintain the nipple sensation. But they're so large that I'm not sure if that's even possible.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-24-2010 - 7:11pm

Hi Tami!

I am so excited for you to have the surgery. You will have no idea how much it will change your life.

I had the free nipple grafting. It looked really odd at first, but as they healed I got used to the size of the new nipples. I have sensation; not exactly the same as before surgery, but it is still there. I know you are concerned to lose sensation if you have this and that is a possibility, but I know 3 people different ages who had it and they all still have sensation and one of them, my niece even breast fed after!

It really makes a difference to have your nipples moved. I will be 52 soon and my girls look like a 30 year olds breasts. The nipples are right out front and the girls are still perky. Now all my friends who years ago were jealous of my large chest, are jealous of my perky round girls!!

Good luck to you!!

Nancy

I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love, and abundance. Then, whenever doubt, anxiety, or fear tries to call me, they will keep getting a busy
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-24-2010 - 7:29pm

Thanks Nancy! I am super excited to get it done. I've known for ages the difference it would make in my life; I just wanted to wait until after having kids. Then it took forever to get my PCP to agree to make the referral to a PS. I guess she got tired of me being in her office so much with the back pain and migraines. It's funny though, she'll treat my migraines but refuses to give me any sort of medication for the chronic back pain which causes the migraines... But it's ok now, she sent the referral so I'm happy. =)

I can't wait for the back pain to go away. I've been exercising regularly in fear the IC will say I need to loose weight first - as if the large chest didn't hinder the ability to exercise and prevent weight gain in the first place kwim. I've lost 21 pounds so far and have a lot more to go however my cup size hasn't changed much since high school when I was real thin to begin with so I doubt it will change dramatically after weight loss. The first PS agreed with me on that too. And if the boobies do decide to get smaller I'll have to cross that bridge when I get there lol.

Sorry I digressed... my point was I'm exercising now to loose weight but I'm not able to do nearly as much as I'd like to do or should be able to do. I'm looking forward to not having that problem anymore.

I've told my DH many times that I feel more like I have two growths on my chest rather than having two breasts, I'm anxiously waiting for that to change lol.

So you didn't loose sensation?? The first PS and everything I've read on the internet states that you'll loose sensation because the PS removes the nipple completely and then reattaches it. Well I'm glad to hear you didn't loose it then because I really don't want to loose mine lol. I'm still considering just going to a D cup but you've definetly made me feel better about having the nipple graft.

I keep flip flopping between wanting a C and D cup. I don't want to be too big or too little lol. I wish they made model boobies to "try on" haha. I know to ask the new PS about what he suggests, but ultimately it's still my decision and I just don't want to make the wrong one.

Anyway thanks a ton!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-24-2010 - 8:10pm

Tami,

LOL to the boobie models!! I think that would be a great idea!! I went from a 40DDD to a 38C and have plenty of boob, not too much, just enough. If I want to look like more I wear a Victoria Secret push up bra; and then sometimes just a regular bra to just look normal. AHH normal, something I never thought I would say about my chest!! Your PS will definitly recommend a size that will go with your frame, body type, etc. I totally trusted what my PS suggested and am so happy with them.

About 6 weeks after surgery I got fully back into exercising and oh my gosh it was such a treat to only wear a normal (there's that word again!) sport bra and that was all the support I needed. I can do so much more, in fact I ran my first ever 5K this morning adn it was great to not jiggle so much!!! Doing crunches and yoga are certainly easier without those big pillows in the way!

And yes, I do have sensation and yes, they totally moved my nipples up about 2-3 inches. They used to look down, now, straight ahead!!!!

Keep chatting, asking questions, whatever you need to know ~ we will try and help!

Nancy

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-24-2010 - 8:24pm

Thanks again Nancy! I guess it's just come down to if they can make me a D cup and leave the pedicel intact I'll do that. But if they'd have to do the nipple graft to make me a D then I'll just go down to C.

I can't wait to buy normal bra's. And I so understand what you mean by "normal" not being the word of choice for your breasts. Like I said, I've always felt like I had 2 growths on my chest rather than breast - I can't wait for that to change.

And I think I'm even more excited to be able to exercise without falling out of my bra or feeling like all this dead weight is slamming down on my shoulders with every step I take.

Haha @ buying a push-up bra... I never thought the day would come when I'd want let alone be able to wear one. =)

I was looking at regular bras (I guess that's similar to the normal boobs comment hehe) and couldn't believe they're so cheap!! OMG! $5-10 for a bra??? Who would have thought that's how much they're supposed to cost.

I've read some comments about women wearing shirts without bras after a BR - I couldn't even imagine being able to do that but man do I look forward to the possibilities hehe.

Anyway, thanks again! And I will definitely keep chatting. In case you can't tell, I love to chat =D

Photobucket