3 weeks to go

iVillage Member
3 weeks to go
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 10:02pm
I am having my BR in 3 weeks and am so nervous. Any tips on things I need to take to the hospital? My doctor said my surgery could be anywhere from 5-6 hours. That scares me too. I am having all of those "What if I hate the way I look" fears now. My husband is being really supportive, but my grandma thinks that I am too big of a "baby" to deal with the pain. I just needed a safe place to vent my anxiety. Thanks :)
iVillage Member
In reply to: akcallie
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 4:21pm

Hi!
Being nervous is so normal!! I mean it is surgery and it can be scary just thinking about it. I almost backed out a couple days before cause I had so many what ifs, and why was I really doing this and was it necessary... all the anxiety that comes with this surgery. But my husband and friends said, you have wanted this for so long, you will be so happy!! And I was and still am, so thrilled!!!
My surgery only took about 3 hours; surprised yours will take 5-6, but maybe your PS is just being cautious in his time frame.
The only thing I took with me the day of surgery was a pillow for the ride home. When I went back the next day and got the drains out and the bandages off, then the PS put me in a Playtex 18 hour bra that he had told me to get. I was able to take a shower when I got home after that. Everyone has different experiences, as their PS's make them wait a week, keep the bandages on, make them wear sport bras, etc. So hopefully your PS and/or his nurses will give you a full run down of what will happen after and what they want you to do.
As far as pain, I never really had bad pain. I did take the Percocet for the first couple of days, but that made me so loopy. I switched to Tylenol on the 3rd day and that was fine to take the edge off. I was just kind of uncomfortable with the itching and stretching and well just odd feeling. But never painful. As I healed I would get twitches as the nerves were rejuvenating, and that was weird!!
I have been on the boards here for 3 years now and it is rare to have anyone who really hates the way they look after. Some have been disappointed that too much was taken or not enough, but they are still happy that it was done. The difference it makes in how you feel; no more neck, shoulder, back pain; the deep grooves in your shoulders will soften; you will stand taller and be able to wear button up shirts without the buttons popping open!!

Feel free to vent about anything here - lots of great ladies to help out with fears/questions. Keep us posted!!

Nancy :))

I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love, and abundance. Then, whenever doubt, anxiety, or fear tries to call me, they will keep getting a busy
signal - and soon they’ll forget my number.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 6:20pm

Hey! My surgery is in 3 weeks also. I am feeling the same way. I can handle the pain or uncomfortableness of it as I have been through 2 c-sections. Its perfectly normal to feel that way. I keep going back and fourth about what size to go. Either a C or D. Leaning towards C as I started out as a D and kept creeping up. My surgeon said mine should take 2-4 hrs. I guess it just depends how much they have to take off. I would look back at the discussions and you will be able to get ideas of what you will need. That's what I have been doing and it has help a lot.
Well I will stop rambling now and wish you luck on your journey. I hope everything works out the way you want it.

Jackie

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-07-2010 - 4:00pm
akcallie and jackie, when are your surgery dates?
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-07-2010 - 4:56pm
August 23 is my date.
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 10:49am
Mine is Aug 30th. I think from being excited about it I jumped the gun. I have an extra week. I just want it to be here already! LOL...
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 4:11pm
It's funny because I would love to have that extra week to get myself mentally prepared. I dont know why I am as scared as I am but I really am.
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 10:07am

I would have been the 23rd also but thats the first day of school here and my 5 yr olds first day of kindergarten. There is nothing more important then being there for that. Im sure your feeling that way because its major surgery. I am not really scared more nervous about being under for so long and I want everything to look good ya know. Just keep telling yourself its something that has to be done or you will be miserable the rest of your life. Try to keep yourself busy and not think about it. I know easier said than done. LOL...Everything will be fine. Hope some of this helps. Good luck and wishing you a fast and speedy recovery so you can enjoy your new body!

Jackie

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 4:31pm

Just wanted to say thanks Jackie for all your positive vibes! It will help you also, if you can keep feeling like this!! Honestly, we all go through the anxiety and jitters, for any major change in our lives. The way to help get through is to stay positive and to help others, just like you are doing!! One of the reasons I came on board here!
Best of luck to you in the weeks ahead as you and the others prepare for this amazing surgery! My husband and I toasted on Saturday to 3 year anniversary for me!! Can hardly believe it, but I can still remember those days of lugging them "beasts" around. Some bad memories never leave....

Stay cool!

Nancy :))

I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love, and abundance. Then, whenever doubt, anxiety, or fear tries to call me, they will keep getting a busy
signal - and soon they’ll forget my number.