New to the group

iVillage Member
New to the group
Tue, 08-17-2010 - 10:38am

Hello Ladies,
I've been searching around for some information today about having a BR. I just scheduled my procedure for early October. Originally I was denied 3 years ago I was finally approved this last December and the time I feel is finally right for me to get it done (of course my approval ends in December too) I chose early October since it's shortly after my 39th and my older daughters 9th birthday and hope to be back to feeling good before Halloween for the kids.

I've nursed 2 kids for about a total of 4 years and so I'm a "tad" bit saggy! My youngest is 3 1/2 and it's been just over a year since I stopped nursing her. I play adult soccer and LOVE it, I plan to play the month of September and then recover until the spring season. Me playing soccer is a huge part of why I want the procedure...running even thou I wear "the last resort" running bra still leaves my back in pain.

I didn't see much of the questions any newbie would have about the actual procedure itself. Or maybe I just didn't look to far into the board. I'm scared out of my whits. Not sure what to expect, pain wise, what I'd look like after, after care of the immediate procedure. (showering, lifting the arms up, carrying things, physical activity) I walk the puppy even morning. I've had 2 csections and I think my 2nd one hurt worst than the 1rst one but I only used tylenol 800 mg with both procedures.

Everyone tells me it will be the best thing I've ever done. Can't wait, excited, and scared too.

Trish

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-17-2010 - 11:20am

Hi Trish!

Well I hope I can help you with some of your questions/concerns.

My surgery took approx. 3 hours. I was wrapped up in bandages and had drain tubes on either side, under my arms. They had small bags attached to them that drained out any fluid/blood left over from surgery. I went home about 2 hours after surgery, when I was awake and felt like I could walk. I did get sick from the anesthesia, which wasn't fun, but really not a big deal. I was glad I took a pillow for the ride home, cause i put that over my chest and under the seat belt. That first night was a little rough, as I just couldn't get comfortable. My dear husband had to drain the little pouches every few hours (God Bless him) and I was taking Percocet for the pain. I didn't really know if I had any pain, as I was afraid to find out. It made me feel really weird. The next day I went back to get my bandages off and hopefully the drains out. My best friend went with me and I just couldn't wait to see the results. Of course, it wasn't really pretty - incisions under my breasts and under and around my nipples, which were moved and made smaller. The doctor cleaned them all up a bit, but even thought they were bruised and all, they were the most beautiful things I had ever seen!!! My girlfriend even had tears in her eyes for me!! The PS pulled out the drains (ouch!) and then he helped me put on a Playtex 18 hour bra he had me buy. I really had no pain, just an umcomfortable, tight feeling. I was able to go home and shower, which was a challenge with moving your arms, but I did it and you will find you become very adept at doing things. By the 3rd day I was just taking Tylenol and that was taking that uncomfortable edge off. I started back into little walks, as I tend to get antsy, and I think that helped me with sleeping.
You won't be able to lift anything or carry anything for a couple of weeks. I found kicking things around worked well, like the laundry basket, etc. I don't think walking your dog would be a good idea, as the leash would pull. Make sure and ask your PS about that.

I too was very scared the week before the procedure. I almost backed out, but everyone reminded me how much I wanted and needed this surgery. I had my surgery 3 years ago, August 7th was my anniversary!! I was a 40DDD and now a wonderful 38C. I exercise, have been in 3 - 5K's this year and I know I would not be doing all of these without this surgery. I hate to think of how heavy I might have become.

Anyway, I hope I have helped a bit. Yes, this is serious surgery, but I would do it again in a minute. The healing goes really well if you just take it easy. I was able to start to a regular exercise routine at 4 weeks and use hand weights at 6 weeks. After that the sky was the limit, and if I felt a little sore or swollen, I would just take it easy for a day and put some cold compresses on. (frozen peas works great!)

Good luck and keep asking questions and you won't feel so scared with more knowledge!!

Nancy :))

I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love, and abundance. Then, whenever doubt, anxiety, or fear tries to call me, they will keep getting a busy
signal - and soon they’ll forget my number.
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-21-2010 - 8:30pm

Awesome, thank you, excellent information and exactly what I needed!

I'm currently a saggy 38DDD, and the PS said he wasn't sure if he could bring me smaller than a D, but I was hoping for a full C.

There are just so many emotions involved and I might have done myself a disservice by scheduling it so far out.

Trish

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-21-2010 - 11:37pm

All of my life I was gifted with an super huge chest. When I was a teenager I hated changing clothes in the lockerroom because I was so embarassed.

I got this from my paternal side of the family. As I was getting older my mom said I should do something about it. Well u know how sometimes your mom can say something too many times and u just ignore it. Thats what I did. I have very severe imprints on my shoulders from my bra and it doesn't even fit well. I always thought medical bills would be an issue after having this surgery and then my MD said insurance would definitely pay because of having severe back pain for many years. My nurse at the MD office is just like a mom. So today I made an appt and on October 6th I have my first consult with the PS. I'm excited to be smaller and feel much better. I have already endured having my appendix out, gallbladder out, a total hysterectomy, numerous laparoscopies and knee surgery. I don't have a tolerance for pain but know they will handle that for me. My worst fear is getting the I.V. started because I am a hard stick. I can't wait for my appointment. I also wanted to ge this done before the holidays so I could enjoy them. If not Thanksgiving but Christmas. I have a wonderful support system that is with me all the way. I did tell my mom today that I wanted to keep this totally private between everyone. This is my life and I don't want it getting around and want to treat it as a private matter.

I will definitely keep u updated and if anyone has any insight about the surgery please share it with me!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 11:30am

Hi!
Well it sounds like you have had your share of surgeries, so this one should be a piece of cake. Well not totally, but there is minimal pain, as far as most of the ladies say, and the recovery is more just taking it easy and being patient.
You certainly are a perfect candidate for this surgery and having your MD back you up is a big plus!!
I had the surgery 3 years ago and it seriously changed my life for the better. Leaving the shoulder/back/neck pain behind, being able to exercise easier, wearing button up shirts, pretty bras....ah, I could go on and on about the benefits!!
Also having the support system is a big key and help in your recovery. So glad to hear that.
My surgery lasted about 2 1/2 hours and I was home about 2 hours after. I would have loved to stay in a hospital overnight, so if that is an option for you, go for it! That first night I was groggy and a little sick from anesthesia, but my hubby was so good. He even emptied my drains for me for the first 24 hours. I was lucky enough to get them out the next afternoon. I never really had pain from surgery, I was just uncomfortable and had weird feelings of tightness, itching, burning, the first few days. But Tylenol helped take off the edge of those after a couple days on Percocet (which made me so weird!).
I hope you can get this done before the holidays...you have plenty of time. I was feeling pretty much back to myself by week 3. So you should be able to fully enjoy the holidays with some new clothes! :)
Keep us posted on how your appt. goes and don't hesitate to ask lots of questions then and on here!!!

I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love, and abundance. Then, whenever doubt, anxiety, or fear tries to call me, they will keep getting a busy
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 1:58pm
any recommendation of books to read before surgery would be much appreciated. i just checked out a book at the library called breast reduction and breast lifts by alain polynice md and aloysius smith md. any suggestions would be appreciated.
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-24-2010 - 8:03pm

I've been reading a lot on the internet and other message boards.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-27-2010 - 11:57am

Just a quick note....being in a somewhat upright position that first week after surgery, is a definite yes. I would try to lie flat and it really bothered me. I ended up spending a lot of time in a recliner and it was pretty comfortable. If you wouldn't have a recliner than any comfy couch or chair where you can prop some pillows under your back and prop your feet up. It wasn't until 2 weeks I slept in the bed and that was with lots of pillows around me. (also to protect me from my hubby accidentally hitting me..)

Just my thoughts.. and if you can have the doctor take the drains out, do!!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-28-2010 - 12:32am

Hi and welcome!

I was actually in the OR and ready for surgery, waiting,

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-28-2010 - 11:14pm

LOL Cagirl737