10 days to go

iVillage Member
10 days to go
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 11:08am
I just found this message board and reading all of the post-op posts has been so helpful.
iVillage Member
In reply to: bscaldwell
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 1:54pm
Make sure you have things that you will need on a daily basis on an easy level to reach. You are not going to want to lift up your arms. Also, it helps to have some comfy button up shirts for the first few weeks after surgery. I lived in my husbands flannel shirts. I found it was the most comfortable for me to sleep sitting up so I bought a bed rest pillow from Target. It has been great. Oh, and my favorite thing after surgery was my frozen peas. I used them a lot. I also got some frozen corn to use when my peas "melted". Good luck with your surgery!! You will enjoy your new girls :)
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 1:56pm

Hi!
I am excited for you - less than a week and you will be a new gal!!!

It is so normal to be scared of the anesthesia, I know I was scared of that and well, everything, beforehand. Was I doing this for all the right or wrong reasons, what if this or that happened, what if I wasn't happy with the results, etc.... but my family and friends reminded me how long I had dreamed of having it done and well I never looked back then. I did get sick the first day from the anesthesia, but it wasn't so bad. The last time was at home and my kids and husband were so understanding. I felt so much better the next day, except for lack of sleep, which is really the only problem I had from the surgery. It is hard to get comfortable and I slept in my recliner for the first week or so. Got used to it after a couple days. I made it up like a bed with sheets and blankets, or my hubby did, and that made it nicer.
One thing, a small warning, with the anesthesia is constipation. From that and the pain meds, I was constipated to the point of extreme pain until the 5th day, I had relief. I should have started taking a stool softener regularly from the beginning, but didn't. I will know now if there is a next time! So an easy solution to a terrible problem. That was the only pain I had from surgery. After a couple days I stopped the Percocet and was taking Tylenol to take off the edge of feeling uncomfortable, tight, etc.
That was good you ordered a size up on your bras. I was a 40DDD and the doctor had me buy 42C's for the first month. It was very comfortable around my bandages and sutures. NOt so pretty, but I knew the pretty bras were coming!! I ended up a 38C and have way too many pretty bras, no white ones - LOL!! I swore I would never wear a white bra again!!
make sure you have everything you will need that first week within reach. You won't want to be lifting your arms or reaching. Stay well hydrated and try to eat good and you should bounce back pretty quick!! Just be careful of not overdoing it when you do, as you will pay; soreness and swelling, but like the other gal said, frozen peas and corn, make a wonderful soothing compress for when you do.
Hope your pre-op appt. went well yesterday.
Keep in touch!

Nancy :))

I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love, and abundance. Then, whenever doubt, anxiety, or fear tries to call me, they will keep getting a busy
signal - and soon they’ll forget my number.
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 3:07pm

Nancy,

Thanks so much for your reply.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 3:20pm

Sounds like you are all ready!! Yippee!! And that is wonderful that your parents are taking your kids for a couple of days. Very nice. And a supportive husband; you are good to go!!

About the deodorant...I honestly don't remember. I know you can't wear it for mammograms, but I don't recall them saying no to that on the day of surgery. In fact I am pretty sure if I remember, I got up and showered, shampooed and shaved that morning, since i didn't know when the next time would be. And pretty sure there was deodorant involved!! I was lucky and able to take a shower though the next day, but that was scary. Pretty much just let the warm water wash over me and my husband lightly soaped me...so sweet :)
The bedrest pillow sounds like a great idea! Hope that works for you. I am side sleeper, so that was tough to get used to for the first few weeks.

Anyway, yup, just ask if you have any more questions!!!

I keep the telephone of my mind open to peace, harmony, health, love, and abundance. Then, whenever doubt, anxiety, or fear tries to call me, they will keep getting a busy
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 9:25pm
I was told by my doctor no deodorant, lotion, perfume, or smelly soaps. Hope that helps :)
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 9:53am

Thanks for that info. I truly could not remember, but I guess it would make sense!
It has been 3 years since my surgery and that was one thing I forgot.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 10:29am
i put a dab of deodorant on the day of surgery. my doc never said anything about not using it. i figured a little wouldn't hurt. the first shower was so nice. although when i took my bra off it felt so weird like they were going to fall off. LOL.... my mother in law could not believe how perky they were. i love em. got some stitches out and oy that did hurt. going on tuesday to get the rest out. good luck on your surgery. hoping for a smooth recovery. the anethesia had no affect on me. i was happy about that. you will do just fine. it took a about 4 or 5 days to feel almost back to myself. still get tired after doing too much so rest as much as you can. and a pillow for the ride home would be good. my hubby forgot to bring it for me so the seat belt rubbed against me and that was uncomfortable. i slept on the couch for 4 days then tried the bed. not as comfy but it felt good to lay next to my hubby again.
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-11-2010 - 10:50pm

Hi and welcome!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-15-2010 - 7:22am

Hi!

Well today is your big day! I was hoping to get on yesterday to say best wishes, but will be thinking about you

I am sure all will go well and I cant wait to hear how you made out!

God speed~Nancy :))