Monday Check-In: 04-21-02

iVillage Member
Monday Check-In: 04-21-02
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 7:43am
It's that time in the week when we check in and share our progress and stuggles. I hope everyone is having a good week.

cl-12by10

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 9:37am
The blue face is me hyperventilating.

I've got $39 left for the month. I've cleaned out my savings, and my bills are paid, but it's a looooong way til the first when I get paid again.

Actually, I'll get some money next Sunday when I teach dancing. But I haven't been this low in a long long time.

My mood is greatly affected by my bank balance, and I'm on the verge of panic. Where's that worry stone I charged for $7.95??

I'm glad the banks in Massachusetts are closed today so the last check I wrote can't be cashed until tomorrow. I have another check from students from two weeks ago that I just found. I'm blaming the move from apartment to house, a headache I had for a week, and PMS on my horrible spending habits these past few weeks.

Well, no more. The headache's gone, I'm all moved in, and PMS is over. This morning on the train ride in I tidied up my purse, put all my money and receipts in my wallet. This week I'll try to get onto Quicken for 15 minutes every night and catch up on banking.

Keeping fingers crossed that nothing comes up in the next nine days.

Lee Ann

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 9:54am
OUCH, car repairs!

My husband's car desperately needed work, and we couldn't put it off any longer....to the tune of just over $500. Not such a great weekend.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 11:08am
I don't know if we're suffering from deprivation but we've been spending way too much money lately.

Going out for drinks with friends, going out to eat, buying things for the house.

It's all cash but we're over budget this month. Once again, I'm looking forward to the end of the month and a fresh start.

I moved our emergency fund back to ING so that it wouldn't melt away like last month.

Uggh.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 12:17pm
>>A few major accomplishments in the past week.

1. I got a $1300 balance xfer from a 22.9% card to a 5% offer on my other card, that rate is good for as long as it takes to pay off, as long as I don't default (pay late)... saving over $400 in interest assuming only minimum payments while I pay off the 8% car loan.

2. Sat down with the info for all my accounts (checking, savings, DS's 529, 403b, CC & loan) and updated everything in Quicken, figured a rough budget for the coming year, though that budget still needs to be tweaked a bit.

3. Resolved to withdraw $60 each payday (every 2 weeks) and no more. One of my worst money habits is going to the ATM at any old whim, and that needs to STOP!

4. Also resolved to put $50 each payday right into savings and not touch it. I have NO emergency fund, so I'm finally starting it.

5. Sent a check for an extra $300 toward my car loan.

>>Goals for the upcoming week:

1. Call that high-rate card and lower my limit to $1000 and put it in the freezer for emergencies only (i.e. urgent car repair, etc.)

2. Tweak the budget (see #2 above).

3. Continue checking in with my school's financial aid office to see when they finally process my application for 2003-4 and figure new amounts into the budget.

4. Continue apartment-hunting. What a pain. ;-)

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 12:36pm
Well--the word of the day is "phew!" I guess! My cat Sydney has been sick again and I was just about to take him to the vet today (for which I would've had to use my credit card!) but this morning he looks much better, and he's slowly started eating again. It seems he is just susceptible to kitty viruses but he usually gets better on his own, whether we take him to the doc or not.

We went to a science fiction convention this weekend and I'm happy to say I didn't spend much money--just parking, dinner & coffee Sat. night--and Sunday my dad gave me $20 for an Easter present, so I bought one of those sarongs with a Celtic design, which I've been wanting for quite awhile, and that only cost $15 so I have $5 leftover. Whoohoo!

Ozbound - "Basically on my way to Australia"

CL for Bud

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 1:30pm
Still charging....still struggling right now. Hoping things in general will get better. I have rediscovered the joys of my bicycle, and had a great holiday. Still uncomfortable with the job search. Littlesbigs
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 2:40pm
Well I feel better today after venting this weekend (see my post above). Just got the news - our van will cost a total of 712.00! But the good news is it is in good repair and (cross our fingers) we won't have any major repairs for awhile. We needed to get things done before we went out on the road this summer (my parents are an 8 hour drive away)and I will feel safer driving it.

Sandra

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 3:07pm
I had a great week last week and it can only get better from her on in, concerning finances, anyway!

We balance transferred all our BAD debt to good credit limit cards and am paying off more than $600 a month to pay out of debt by Christmas of this year! $4800 more to go and I wil be debt free!

Have fun and remember, it's only money, not your life. You will get through it. I promise!

Andi D.

went from near bankruptcy $26,000 down to $4800 in three years!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 5:57pm
The worst thing that happened last week is that I took my checking account down to $2.00, but at least I didn't overdraw it. There were some good things that happened. Dh was out of town to work for the week. This is a good thing because it means he has to pay no gas money for the week, his hotel and food is coveredby the company. All he does is work, eat and sleep so he spends no money. I had a couple of overtime days on my paycheck friday so I took the entire thing and my normal budgeted amount and paid my only CC with it. I am finally down under the limit and I can stop receiving over the limit fee's and all those phone calls. My car hasn't been running well lately so dh worked on it over the weekend for a total of $35.00 new spark plugs, windshield wipers, and a vaccuum hose. It is running much better now. Thankfully he knows a little about cars. We had a nice simple Easter with the kids and in-laws. It is my weekend to work so I'm glad my in-laws were able to help out by having dinner at their house.

-Darcy

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 1:03pm
Wow Phoenixmama, that's a lot! Good luck to you. Makes my 'stay away from vending machine' seem kind of lame, ha ha ha!!

You're an inspiration.

Lee Ann

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com

Pages