6/2/03 Monday Check In!

iVillage Member
6/2/03 Monday Check In!
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 2:09pm
First check in of the new month ladies! Here's your place to let us all know how last week went, or what challenges/hurdles or even successes you anticipate this week.

Let us know how you're doing!

Danni

All my best,
Danni

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 2:50pm
Well - looks like I'm first this week! On Thursday I've got a realtor coming to do a market value assessment of our home, all in preparation for our real estate trip to Portland in a couple of weeks. I'm both excited and scared. I love my home, but I'm sick of the cost of living in CA.

On the home improvement front - we're building a mantel to go above our fireplace. Should look great when we get it installed!

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 2:59pm
Well, we got paid last week, and now we are working on catching up on all those late bills, ugh. I am only doing a few at a time, cause that is all I can take, emotionally. I should be able to get everything but the mortgage back up to date, they have given us till the end of the month to pay June's mortgage, and that should be no problem. I have booked a number of work days for June and that will help as well. We looked into me gettng a full time job, but after taxes and daycare it just doesn't make any sense. So I'll be working most weekends, for a while.

That's it!

wendy

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 3:00pm
I'm emerging from this weekend enthusiastic about the kitchen-painting project I have planned for this July! I reorganized and got rid of a lot of stuff in my kitchen this weekend, then went to Home Depot online and picked paint colours. I'm going to try to do as much as I can without going into any new debt! (That's why I'm sticking with just paint and minor repairs for now--I WISH I could get new cabinets, etc., but that's gonna have to be down the road a bit!)

The first part of this month is kind of tough, though, financially because we had two short paychecks in a row, but next paycheck will be fat and on top of that, my utilities bill went down. So woohoo, good news, just in time for my car tab payment!

It never ends!

Ozbound - "Basically on my way to Australia"

CL for Bud

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 3:36pm
Actually, I'm still trying to get things to settle down. Two weeks ago our apartment gave us a three day notice to get rid of our cats or leave. We had lived at that apartment for four years, with cats. It had always operated on a don't ask/don't tell basis. We had also been having issues with parking security. We were planning on moving in August when our lease was up anyway and there is no way I'm getting rid of my cats. They might annoy me to no end at times but so do my children and I don't get rid of them.

Long story short, within one week we packed our apartment, found a house to rent and moved. It went really, really well. The house is more expensive by about $500 a month (I live in Los Angeles and housing prices are outrageous anyway) but it was more or less a planned expense. The biggest issue was the security deposit but I worked that out. I am nervous about June, moving was expensive and its going to be pretty tight but all in all, I am really happy about it. I have lived in apartments my entire life. I can't quite describe how peaceful I feel in the house. My boys are 5.5 and almost 2 and having a yard, tiny though it is, is incredible. I am also thinking that amazingly, our utilities might be going down. Our apartment was upstairs, poorly insulated and had a vaulted ceiling in the front room. My electric bills for a/c were more than some of my friends who were in houses twice the size. I also picked up a used washer and dryer for $150.00. I figured even if I only get a year or so out of them, I'm still ahead. They are good brands though. My grandmother's simply wouldn't die.

So all in all I think its been an up month but now I just have to get through the end of this month.

Joie

Joie

"We are what we think.  All that we are arises with our thoughts.  With our thoughts we make the world."

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 3:41pm
I think I'm finally bouncing back. May was a BAD, BAD month! A severe allergy attack led to 3 eye doctor's visits, plus a regular doctor's visit, plus meds, which set me back $120--and that's WITH insurance. I can't imagine what it would have been like without. So that wiped out all of the pitiful savings I had managed to so carefully build up.

But today is better. The Man gave me his share of the household expenses, so I now have $150 in savings, which makes me feel SO much better. It's not much of a cushion, but at least it's something. Plus the other good news is that in 2 weeks, my CC debt will drop to under 18K for the first time in I don't know when. I still have a LONG way to go, but I finally feel like I'm making some headway.

Plus I figured out that I should be able to pay off my computer by the end of the year. It's only $32 a month, but it will be one thing I can cross off my list.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 4:17pm
I'm doing OK this week amazingly enough DH hasn't asked for anymore money (thank Goodness), I paid a small bill in full, made payment arrangements for our gas bill, got another bill caught up, hopefully things will stay on the upswing but, i'm trying to prepare myself for the downside, on a very good note my DH has joined the National Guard so once he gets started that'll be extra money every month for debt. He's actually trying to get back on Active Duty as much as I hate it things were better when he was in the Army and it would be nice to have a set amount of money coming in and know what it is, and not have to worry if you miss a day for illness. My best friend is here visiting so i'm happy about that and my mom and sister are coming at the end of this week so i'm feeling doubly blessed.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 9:51pm
Whew...I think I can breathe now for oh a minute or so. School is almost out and it has been insane here and well...I *thought* we would get a 1 week break before the few summer activities I have start. Nope, I was wrong. Hee Hee. My DD has a ton of practices for gymnastics (she's at team level) because they are in the local festival here they have a "Kid's Day" performance (basically it's a way to show off to the community what the park district does because at the end they do an announcement that if anyone is interseted in gymnastics/dance (they have the dance troupes doing it too) to check at hte park district. LOL!). Then the local parade at the festival (this is the biggest thing our town does and actually it's quite a bit of free entertainment - although they of course DO have the carnival rides & food stands all over but in general you can go cheap). OK, so this has absolutely nothing to do with money but I just feel like I haven't been here as much as I should so wanted to explain myself (basically real life has taken over - Ha Ha).

Anyway, as to money...Everyone keep fingers crossed DH takes his Real Estate test tomorrow afternoon. THAT will determine if I go into a huge despair or can keep optamistic (sp???). We keep talking about as if it's a *done deal* but I know it can't be that easy. DH's goal to start is to sell 1 house/week (average it out so basically 52 houses a year). It will be really nice if he can actually make the money he is projecting (I'm still hanging on the conservative side) but to just be able to pay the bills would be a huge stress relief for me and not have to really worry about if we can stay here or if we have to sell, etc..., even though I keep going as if "of course, we will pull it off" I don't have my head in the sand that much to know it still is a possibility. I so wish we could refinance, the rates are 2% lower than our mortgage right now but I know that's impossible at the moment. :( Really bums me out on that one.

The semi good news...kind of a disappointed but there is a silver lining type thing, is that my 3 year old is going to go to preschool next year for only $30. He went for a case study and they determined (the school district) that he was developmentally delayed in 3 areas (2 that have a percentage under a certain % and that is all he needed to qualify). So, although I'm bummed that he is considered special ed now, I'm excited that he gets to go this preschool (and that he wasn't so far behind that they wanted to do an exclusionary preschool) for just the fee the administrative fee for the school district. My 6-year old went to this preschool and it is over $600/year for it (they follow the school calendar) as it's an inclusion preschool. So, he will go next year in the 3-year old classroom and the following year in the 4-year old classroom for the smaller fee, plus free bus transportation.

Other than that, I don't think anything much else is going on with our money now. Tomorrow and what that brings will be a big deciding factor on what happens. I have no idea what we are going to do if he doesn't pass...we have basically been banking on the idea that he will pass and this is the route he is going to go, as we haven't heard from either of his interviews and he hasn't gotten any more calls to even go on an interview.

Becky

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 10:17pm
I'm back, and y'know-that pulling my head out of the sand sure did help. I feel more hopeful than I have since I was last here in April, and now that I've written all the debts down, it's not so scary anymore. Did I know this before? Absolutely. So why didn't I do it? Sometimes DENIAL is more than a river in Egypt...lol.

I already have started tracking our spending again, and am really watching to see where the 'leaks' are. And I am sure there are some!

So-with renewed enthusiam, I begin anew....

~happy Monday!

Lisa :)

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2003 - 9:06am
It's been so long since I posted a weekly update. I think this is the first week in the past 2 months that I don't have a business trip!

Last week was pretty good. We got our state refund check and put that into our savings, I also put another $100 into savings. I have almost saved 1 month of expenses in the savings account.

Dh's new job is okay. He pretty much hates it, but he has been getting lots of overtime which is good for the finances but bad for family time. It will end soon so I've been trying to save/snowflake as much as possible.

The kids dental bills are going to be outrageous. We (really me) decided it was best to cash in some old savings bonds to cover the $600 downpayment and the $600+ for our cabin rental later this month. As much as I am looking forward to this trip, I almost wish I could cancel. I keep thinking how much I could snowflake if we weren't going on vacation.

I was also very proud of myself because I fixed a tear in my pool liner with a $5 patch kit! Yeah me. When I found the tear, I figured the liner was ruined and feared what it would cost to repair it - silly me - when I called the pool store in a panic, I think they laughed at me, as I was so clueless!

Hope everyone has a great week!

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2003 - 9:40am
I get paid on the first of the month, so my bank account just got a much-needed infusion of cash.

This month I took all the cash I'll need for the month out of the bank, and put it into various envelopes. Piano lessons, dance lessons, sewing lessons, parking, allowance. I've got bills due at the end of the month, but I paid them now, so as not to keep an inflated bank balance. I should have about $500 left at the end of the month (if I can stay off ebay...)

Of course, my whole allowance is almost already gone. Yikes. I'm going to have to make a list of wants vs. needs to keep myself from spending willy nilly.

Looking good so far, and it's sunny for the second day in a row, woo hoooo!!!

Lee Ann

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com

Pages