6/16 Monday Check-in

iVillage Member
6/16 Monday Check-in
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 9:16am
Hello Everyone!!

How has this past week gone for you? We are 1/2 through June, how is everyone holding out? Let us know your success stories, sob stories or just plain, we are chugging along stories! :)

Becky

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 1:46pm
Things are going really well. I'm thrilled to see my cc balances steadily decreasing. I've paid off over $4K since the beginning of this year and am on track to pay off the next few debts. Last Friday, I almost paid off my target debt from savings, but resisted since I like having the savings and it would only save me a couple of dollars in interest since I'm planning to pay it off at the end of next month anyway! That was close! I am worried, however, that I might derail my aggressive debt repayment plan in order to pay my car insurance and my 60K mile service for my car--Those will be nearly $1000 combined. Instead of using $ from my savings and stealing from my vacation fund, I'm not going to snowflake as much toward my next target debt as I had initially planned. I feel guilty for doing this, but at least, I won't be using credit and I will still snowflake a larger amount toward my new target debt. It's not like I have a choice on those two major expenses and they're not exactly frivolous! I just still feel badly that I'm not going to be able to snowflake as much and pay my debts down as quickly as I wanted to :-(

Akirez

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 4:55pm
On a Roller Coaster ride and have no idea where the tracks are. That's a good way to explain it. :)

Let's see, good news is our food stamp allotment was increased and I didn't do anything other than send in the paperwork they requested, so starting July 1, we will be able to get groceries for the entire month. :)

Seems like we keep shelling money out to get DH set-up in the Real Estate. I know in the long run this is good and it's things he needs but still nerve-racking. I'm hoping by this time next year, we will be on less of a roller coaster and at least have a clue as to what his income will really be. :) I know when he makes his first few sales, it really isn't going to count as income as such (Yes, it will for taxes but I mean to live on) as a true picture of what he is earning because he has to take out all the expenses he paid up-front before I will feel comfortable knowing what he is *truly* making and can actually start budgeting for real (instead of just winging it like I'm doing now) and will feel like we can cautiously get back on our feet. I was having lots of "I don't care, whatever, I have no control so why bother" type of attitudes/thinking last week (OK, so it could be hormones too. Hee Hee). I'm much more optomistic today, probably because I blew up our free pool we had and was outside with the kids for a while and just enjoying the breeze, etc... and feels like summer now.

Becky

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 6:11pm
Chug, chug, chug, chug, chug, chug..........

On the good side, I am continuing to monitor my spending...and I have been keeping my promise to myself that I won't buy any new health and beauty products this month('cuz I could go CRAZY buying a lot!). 2 weeks? not bad.....for me! And I can see this spilling into July as I keep finding more stuff around the house! I don't need anything!!!! I just found a couple bottles of nail polish remover over the weekend....also some gold powder that looks cute on my cheeks...think I bought it Christmas 2001, never opened it.....

On the bad side, I had to charge some job hunting supplies this morning, but I need more copies of my resume, and I want to have all my ducks in a row for an upcoming job fair. I did manage to stop myself from buying the 200 page box of 100% cotton paper...settled for the 100 page box........but I do have to say that the economy isn't too good over here, and I have noticed that resume paper is in short supply where I shop! I paid cash for some inexpensive skirts I found perfect for a new job in the fall....Did make one impulse purchase at an antique fair this weekend for $10.00.....

Job hunt is going along, but not much progress.....I can job hunt all the live-long day, and I feel like I haven't accomplished anything. Will be writing cover letters at the pool tomorrow....job fair on Wednesday...then family activities take me away from the job hunt for 3 days......

Littlesbigs

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 9:18pm

I bounced a check on thursday :( so $15 fee, I had forgotten to deduct 2 things in my checkbook, no one to blame but me for that one, I knew things were tight because I haven't received a full paycheck from my new job yet, but once that happens on Friday it will be Snowflake City!!! By June I was hoping to be under 20k but that looks like July or August at the latest. I'll post the day that happens!!!!

Our good news is that DH is up for a promotion at work. Fingers crossed and we should find out in a couple of days. It would be a nice raise as well as a good career move.

So after a slight derailment we are chug chugging again and hoping to pick up speed!

Rebecca J.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 10:35am
Things are chugging along here. I have my budget worked out through the end of June, and things are looking good.

DH & I are doing really well not eating out, both on weekends & on his lunches at work. We've cut it down significantly, and I've been able to snowflake the savings. We still go out, but instead of going to a restaurant or fast food place, we go to Barnes & Noble and get coffee and a snack. Much cheaper (less than $10), more fun, and I still get to indulge in a nice venti latte. :-)

Last weekend at Barnes & Noble I bought "Financial Peace Revisited" by Dave Ramsey. After reading it, I'm thinking of changing my debt reduction plan a bit in order to set up my emergency fund. I'm just going to start with $1000 at first. It should only throw off my debt reduction plan by 1 1/2 months. I'm so torn about this. On one hand, it would be so nice to pay cash should an emergency arrive (and I know a major car expense is imminent - DH's car has 120,000 miles on it and still has the original clutch. EEK!). On the other hand, my ING savings account only earns 2% as opposed to the 11% I pay on my target cc.

DH is against the emergency fund idea for that reason. I just don't know.

Bridget

Bridget
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 4:33pm
Halfway through June, and most of my bills are paid except cable, mobile phones, telephone, and internet. They come to about $300. I'm out of money except for a couple of hundred coming in through teaching dancing, so I'll probably just break even. I took $140 out of ING to cover cat grooming and booking the Justice of the Peace (we set the date, July 11). I've got $500 left in there if we want wedding rings.

No movement on debt, because I made payments to both when I got paid on the first.

Compulsive spending seems to be much less since asking for help from a Higher Power every morning.

Lee Ann

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 4:50pm
I'm sure you already know this, but just in case....when you go to the job fair, make sure you write the name and address of everyone you talk to that you give your resume to regarding a job and follow-up with a targeted resume for that specific job you talked about.

I'm sure you probably already know this, like I said, just in case.

Good Luck at the job fair!

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 4:59pm
Chugging along here too. We are going on vacation starting on Friday so it will be an expensive week, but I will try to do things taht costs too much.

All the monthly bills are paid, which is good, but I spent $200 at Walmart buying clothes for DS. He was in desperate need of clothes - to the point where you could not even patch the jeans anymore.

Had to purchase pool supplies and thought we were going to have to replace the liner ($300 if done by us, $800 if done by the pool supply place) becuase we keep finding all these holes and have been patching them but still have water under the pool liner {{{who was the person who wanted a pool? They might want to rethink it}}} Anyway, I was told that I might have craw dads (sp) Have no idea what they are but yesterday when I got in the pool the bottom seemed harder which means we might have patched all the holes!

So hopefully, the pool will be fine. Well time to go home.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 8:24pm
In the midst of my debt reduction earlier this year, I started an emergency fund. I just wanted to keep paying down the debt, but I managed to put $1,200 into my ING account. I am living off of it at the moment and I don't know what I would do without it. I encourage you to put money aside if you can afford to while still keeping all your bills current.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 9:23pm
After a rather expensive weekend, we seem to *finally* be on the same page regarding debt, and the paying off of. I had made a workable plan last week, so when payday on the 13th came around, I paid the bills that needed to be paid, and remembered to keep $150 out for us. I felt a little panicky, but kept thinking, "No, this will work, it's a good plan." Yeah, probably on paper, LOL! I figured $150 would be PLENTY to last us for a couple of weeks, and it probably would have, but we went and renewed our Sam's Club membership (budgeted for), and bought some food while we were there(some was on the list, some not), shopped with a list-looking good so far...but otherwise, we pretty much blew it. We've got $5 of the $150 left, but I do get paid on Friday. (I wanted to use that to chuck at credit cards). We ended up charging more than I wanted to, and so...

When we got home Saturday night, I felt just ill thinking about how big of a step backwards we went. So, I was working on the computer, and came across a debt reduction software thingy I'd installed a few months ago (and pretty much forgot about because I didn't put it on the desktop where I'd SEE it). I plugged in all the numbers, and it spit out a possible debt-free date-September of 2005. I may pay things in a bit different order, but I thought that it was a do-able plan. Remembering how well the LAST plan had (not) gone, I asked DH to please take a look at it and see if he could find anything I'd missed. I think he was surprised at it-he said that he had a ballpark idea of where we are, but to see it on paper was a whole different wake up call kind of thing. He was a little skeptical about it, but agreed that we could give it a whirl. It was kind of funny in that sick-feeling kind of way- "Gee," he said, "This leaves us no room for entertainment, or too many extras." I told him that between cable, all the computers, and the Playstation, I figured he could amuse himself. So, he agreed. I think that it was a HUGE HUGE HUGE step to put it in front of him and say LOOK.

So, now we have a "new and improved" plan- working together, I think we can accomplish this!

~Lisa