iVillage Member
Monday 6/23 Check-in
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 2:45pm
How was your week? Let us know.

Successes? Flops? Hanging in there?

Becky

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 4:13pm
My week was ok, we're making sure that we pay something on the bills ( at least I am), I think this weekend DH finally "got it" that we all have to make sacrifices. He wanted a new pair of glasses but, we just didn't have the money for it after taking the baby to the Doctor and getting a prescription. I did tell him that we get a few groceries and use what was in the pantry so that we could save to get him glasses this week. I'm still planning to have the long distance on the phone turned off so that'll save us money we'll just have to buy calling cards. DH will be going to field next month with the National Guard so we have to spend a little money to get him supplies and stuff, i'm hoping I can get everything at the Dollar General so we don't break our budget, because he won't get paid for awhile, I think that he'll get his regular paycheck from work.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 4:30pm
Hanging in there but somewhat frustrated. Its been a really stressful month, moneywise. I've bounced a couple of checks (yes, I know this is really bad and I've been seriously working on it. This used to be my weakest link, to the tune of 8-10 a month). Usually its just by a couple of days so they'll clear the second time around but the fees kill me. I'm frustrated just because dh drives me nuts sometimes. He has this project car that he spends on and he has absolutely no idea how everything else runs. I have sat down with numbers and talked till I'm blue in the face but still no luck. I was thinking about it this morning on my way to work and the easiest way to describe it is I'm jealous that he gets the luxury of saying "I refuse". As in, I refuse to deal with the sick children, I refuse to deal with the bills, I refuse to cut back my spending. Can you tell I'm a bit touchy today?

Joie

Joie

"We are what we think.  All that we are arises with our thoughts.  With our thoughts we make the world."

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 8:41am
Last week was all right, but I'm pretty out of control of my finances. I just found a $20 I didn't know I had, which is out of control in a good way, but still out of control. I've got some time because it's slow here at work today, so I'm going to try to figure it all out.

We've figured out that the wedding will cost about $1,200 (we're eloping), and I had $600 in my ING account that I transferred over to checking, so DF will pay the other half. We're having a problem finding rings that we both like.

I started a night class at the last moment, so will put that on my Amex until my company can reimburse me. The book cost $100 and is non-reimbursable, so maybe I'll take the money out of my furniture account. Or, I could skip piano lessons next month. I think that's a better idea.

Saturday I did a plant exchange with some North Shore Flybabies, so I got my whole shade garden for free! And found good homes for my vegetable seedlings.

Stay cool,

Lee Ann

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 10:50am
I forgot you were doing the vegetable garden thing too. Since we moved, I have my first vegetable garden since we left my grandmother's house 15 years ago. I'm in Southern California so my biggest concern so far is remembering to water and trying to actually dig in the ground, calling it clay would be a bit too kind. So how are your veggies doing? I feel a bit like a kid I get so excited about mine.

Joie

Joie

"We are what we think.  All that we are arises with our thoughts.  With our thoughts we make the world."

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 11:28am
Hi. I am so mad at myself this week. I bounced my mortgage check on June 13th. I didnt know the check would clear the same day if I took it to the branch. The check I wrote was from a different bank than my mortgage is at so I thought it would take a day or two to clear my bank. I transferred money to cover the check the same day but since I did it after 4:00 it didnt post until the next day. I was so suprised the check tried to clear the same day. My bank reversed the nsf fee but my check is still out there. They said it would go through a second time but its been over a week. I have called the mortgage and the bank and they say to wait till it goes through again. Yikes. What a mess.

Also, my kids are both sick so between two doctor visits for each child and medicine I have spent 200.00 this week. It is so expensive. I hate giving them medicine also because they both will not take it. I have to give it to them for 10 days too.

Hopefully next week will be better.

Leanne

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 11:53am
Well, I'm trying to stay positive, but it is tough. I have had only one day of work in the last two weeks, and this is now the third week that I haven't had work. My savings account is running out. All the money my bf owes me for his half of the things that I charged on my cc (car insurance, vet bill, clothing for him) is going to cover my half of the rent, so I am not able to really pay down those charges like I thought I would be when I used the card...sigh. The temp agency has usually been very good about keeping me totally busy, but they don't seem to have anything for me. The first week that I didn't have work was because she was keeping me available to interview for a permanent job, so that was okay; I figured I would have work the following week-but I only got one day. And there is nothing for this week. I am trying not to panic, but it's hard. I just transferred more money out of my ING account to cover my student loan payment, so that will be okay, but the ING account is close to empty now. I have to get work...everything in the paper and online sources is so depressing. It all pays less than the jobs I get temping and there is very little anyway. If I used the money bf owes me for his half of the charges, then I would have to take my rent money out of my ING account, and that would pretty much wipe it right out, and I don't want to do that. I know I should start to look for an evening job, but I'm not quite at that point yet. I'm not sure what to do, but things are getting harder to stay positive about when I have all these bills to pay and hardly any money. I'm just not sure quite what to do.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 1:58pm
sorry i'm late w/check-in. it's tuesday.

anyway, i got this bad cold. yet, i'm trying to keep my strength. i have to take care of my kids. dd is doing fine. i hope she doesn't get my cold.

as for our debt. we haven't charged anything because we don't have to ccs. our balance is going down. i have not kept track of snowflaking. therefore, i haven't been able to report on that.

mym

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 4:34pm
We refinanced our mortgage yesterday!!!!! Interest rate dropped from 6.375 to 5.375. The payments dropped from $1,079 to $968!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It ended up dropping more than we thought it would. I still can't believe we get to skip mortgage payment in July and get all the money that is in our old escrow account refunded to us(the lender opened another one for us with the new loan). In all we will have a little over $2,000 (the regular pymt plus escrow refund)coming back to us. We want to add a patio to the back (do it ourselves with pavers). It should cost under $500. Then we are going to save the rest. Anyway, that was the big thing for us this week.

We plan to snowball the $100 that we are saving from the mortgage to pay off a used motorcycle(actually a dirt bike) loan faster(husband just took loan out two months ago and we still owe $950). Then I will take all of that money and snowball it to the next bill.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my rambling! :-) :-) I'm so excited that I had to "tell" someone. I know that all of you on the boards understand what the extra $100 could mean to us. :-) Talk to you all later! (((HUGS)))) to all of you that had tough weeks! Take care!

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 9:25am
The week wasn't bad, but I'm mad at myself. DH got some extra money on Friday - $250 for selling his Everquest Account (which went to pay off a cc with $213 on it), then he got a small bonus on his paycheck. It's beyond gone. To celebrate his bonus, we went out to Pizza Hut on Saturday. Then we got take-out Chinese and went out for ice cream on Sunday.

Then, I've been wanting a saxophone stand for a while (I play in a big band). So on a whim, I go to a local music store, and the guy shows me one that's out of the box and offers me $10 off since it's not in a box. I buy it. It was $39. Then I come home, and look at the prices of stands on the internet. One website was offering them for $30 (free shipping if I spend $99- and I do need some other things). I go to return the stand, they'll take it back, but they give no monetary refunds. Only exchanges. I was so pissed at myself. I'm not normally an impulse spender, and I paid for it this week. I know - I'm only out $9, but I'm still mad at myself.

Then, I had to pay $73 for flea meds for my 5 cats. They're all indoor cats, but we're infested with fleas. Luckily Frontline plus has a deal where if you buy 6 you get 1 free, so I've been doing that every month. I get 2 more applications for the price of 1 extra.

But it still hurts to buy them. :-(

Bridget

Bridget
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-26-2003 - 9:36am
Gosh it's Thursday and I'm checking in - sorry for the delay! I'm at a temp job this week - worked some o/t yesterday and will definitely work o/t tonight. I'm working in a law firm, and we've got many, many filings to go to court tomorrow, so it'll be a late one :) I haven't done litigation in years - I'm trying to remember the rules and pace myself for the crazy hours.

dh and I have officially decided to move up to Portland - so now it's a matter of time :) We're in the process of getting pre approved for the $$ so that when we do make a bid, it's a strong one. We'd like to be done with everything in 2 to 3 months. Hopefully it'll all come together.

Things were frighteningly tight as our emergency cushion was eaten up, and dh had not received a check in some time - his invoices were past due, and finally clients paid, so we're okay again - we need to learn to better budget for scenarios like that. I hate not knowing WHEN we'll get money!

Danni

All my best,
Danni