6/30 Check-in

iVillage Member
6/30 Check-in
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 11:16am
It's Monday...how was your week...let it all hang out, your joy if you did good, your frustration if you didn't quite do so good and your UGH, I'm not going anywhere if you are just holding on.

Becky

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_beckymk
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 11:38am
It's been a rough one for us...we are coming to the end of our rope! We have been managing (albeit struggling) to at least keep our heads above water since DH's lay off. Doing OK on that front but lately I've been feeling like it's "do or die" time. Almost panic attack times. We had been having our mortgage in the checkbook for a bit but I wasn't sure if we would have August mortgage set aside or not. As of today, with putting DH's unemployment check in, we have it with $20 to spare. The problem is I know we will have bills that are more than $20 to pay, so that will put us under again. He does get 1 more unemployment check before mortgage is due, so if we don't use too much we can have August payment. According to DH, he believes the beginning of August is when unemployment runs out, we aren't sure exactly but good Lord willing he will at least have his real estate career off the ground a bit at that point (at least before September's mortgage is due).

Just feel like we are sinking...I know there is shore ahead but we are just a bit too far out to reach it comfortable but yet so close we can "see" it and feel shaky if we will make it before we completely sink. I'm still trying to be optomistic (sp?) and hopeful but I'm also somewhat sleep deprived/depressed and that makes it all seem about 100 times worse than it is and so "logically" I know we could be a lot worse off as seems everytime we turn around lately there is some crisis in our family that is a lot worse than losing a job but sometimes I still feel like doing a "I don't want to deal with this anymore!! I just want to quit and not think about it." Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to do that and have the bills paid magically. LOL!! At least not legally anyway!! ROFLMBO!! Plus, I start thinking about way in the future which just depresses me more (which I know I shouldn't do...just deal with today's issues) but we basically have no safety nets for the "what-ifs" in life including retirement (we do have some but it's such a small amount, we wouldn't be able to survive a year on it I don't think).

OK, this was a depressing post!! It's Monday, what can I say. ;)

Becky

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 11:45am
I'm temping again this week - the pay is great, but I'm kind of stressed about overtime. This week it's not a problem, but starting next week, I need to hire a professional dog walker to take care of the dog while I'm away b/c dh will be traveling again.

We scheduled another trip to Portland, so that will be nice - hope to find *the house* on our next trip - b/c if we don't, it'll be a while before we can get up there again!

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 11:47am
Mainly I'm just hanging on, barely. Things are NOT good in my work and money life. I've had one day of work out of the last three weeks, and nothing for this week either, and I don't have a good feeling that anything will turn up...so one day of work out of the last month is what it is looking like. I am soooo broke. Thank God for my ING savings account. It has allowed me to keep paying for things and I have not been using the credit card (except an online purchase which I shouldn't have done, but we know I shouldn't...). But at the same time I'm not getting out of debt either. I am really frustrated and have been sliding into depression. I was doing so well, really making progress, and now I have no work and it just sucks!!! I like working for the temp agency, it suits me right now, but if it is this long without a job, I can't wait, and so I am going to start applying for jobs, starting today. Other than the extreme lack of money and lack of work, the rest of my life is good. Bf is working for the summer, we have been spending nice time together, the rest of my birds are okay, and the apartment is bearable for now. I figure I am lucky in one way that everything else is okay with my life except for the lack of work!!
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 11:50am
I hope things get better for you really soon!! What can I say but I have a pretty good idea of how you feel!! Hang in there.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 12:43pm
Still somewhat frustrated. And impatient. What I want to do and what I can do sometimes seem so far apart. I thought about getting a part time job, just for a little while but decided against it. My dh and I make probably 5x what we made when we got married and still have the same problems so obviously throwing money at the problem is not working plus the tax penalty would be really bad. That being said, we really have made some progress too. We've got some really good things happening financially in the next few months. Our car insurance should be dropping dramatically, 2000 was a really bad year for us car wise and all of that will be falling off our records so when we renew in October it will be much better. Also, my oldest is starting first grade and our daycare expenses for him will be cut in more than half. That will all free up some money in our monthly budget. We also actually spend less money on a lot of things since we moved. Rent is more but utilities are about the same and I actually spend less on groceries and things we used to do just to leave the apartment.

Well, back to work.

Joie

Joie

"We are what we think.  All that we are arises with our thoughts.  With our thoughts we make the world."

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 12:48pm
this weekend we did a little shopping for the kids. we bought them a pool. (although, we rent, we have access to the backyard.) we also bought them a toy chest each. they were in desperate need of one. in total we spent $43.58.

saturday is our 6th year wedding anniversary. not that i'm in the mood to celebrate it. (as you all know, he had an affair). perhaps i'll tell him no gift exchange and splurge in a nice dinner with the kids of course. we don't have anyone that would babysit.

i'm still chopping down our cc debt. haven't calculated our balance yet.

mym

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 1:12pm
This is a good week for me - I feel we are getting our spending under control and making a plan to reduce the CC debt. I'm also listening to Suze Orman's "Laws of Money," and really taking it to heart.

I find reading financial books and lurking here have really helped my motivation. Which is good - I'll be here awhile!

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 1:13pm
Lots of hugs to you! You're right-it does sound scary, but like you said, so far everything's fallen into place right when you thought, "This is it. We're TOAST." I know that this is probably not a good feeling anyhow-all the ups and downs, but PLEASE remember to take care of yourself, OK?

Thinking good thoughts your way....

Lisa :)

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 1:20pm
Ok This week and the month of July promises to be a huge struggle, I know I should be used to it by now but, i'm not, my DH is going to the field on the 5th of July for his two-week drill with the National Guard (he just joined last month) so we're short money because we're getting stuff for him to go to that like extra soap, toothpaste, not to mention this weekend we had to get him new contact lenses and tomorrow he has a job interview in Brookpark which is gonna tear us up in gas and parking fees. I'm at the end of my rope this week but, everything for the week is paid I just don't know about the upcoming weeks.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 1:27pm
Well, this last week was ok, could've been better. I feel like I've just been gritting my teeth and muttering, "Today, we are NOT going to debt." everyday. I sat down with DH and went over where we're at, and asked what he thought. He was a little depressed about the shortage of spending money, but otherwise seemed ok. He seems to think it's a direct reflection on HIM that we aren't out of debt. I don't know why-all he'd say was, "Well, it just is because I'm the main provider." Huh. Well, okey-dokey, then...LOL! We pulled all the food out of the pantry and made menus for the next 2 weeks. Turns out, aside from getting the basics like milk and bread, we're good. So, all in all, I guess we're doing ok.

I keep feeling a little stressed when paying bills-I mean, yes, we have a plan, and yes, it's a reasonable one, but a little doubting voice in my head keeps saying, "Are you SURE that you can't just pay a few dollars less? Are you SURE you'll make it to next payday if you do this?" It's made for some interesting bill-paying moments to be sure. Currrently, I'm just white-knuckling it, and praying for the best. The little things we blow money on bug me lots more now, that's for sure. For instance, we bought blizzards at DQ last Friday-not too big of a deal, but I was sure looking at that money thinking, "Well, that's a couple of gallons of milk. Or a half a tank of gas." I *know* that paying off the debt is NOT just about throwing ALL the money at the outstanding balances. And I know that sometimes the $6 spent on Blizzards will hold off a BIG spending spree, but all I can do is remind myself to BREATHE somedays.

Ah, but it's another week, and a good one at that!

Lisa

Pages