Newbie - time to get real

iVillage Member
Newbie - time to get real
Fri, 03-28-2008 - 6:43am

Hi everyone,

I just found this board this morning, and I'm relieved to find a group like this! My husband and I have enough debt that we sometimes have cereal for meals while giving our 2 year old the "good stuff" (=square meals). We feel like we're drowning but somehow are still trying to "Keep up with the Joneses." Only our parents know the kind of debt trouble we're in.

I have to admit I'm very scared to be here also - it's kind of like admitting to a huge mistake and I'm definitely afraid to open those bills on the counter... I knew we were really in trouble when I stopped looking. I know for a fact we are 2 months behind in all of our regular bills because I only pay enough so that services (hydro, etc.) are not shut off.

We have a little tax money coming in, hopefully soon, and we plan to pay off 3 bills completely with it. Then we're "borrowing" the rest to buy new glasses (which are covered by benefits), and

Lilypie 4th Birthday TickerLilypie
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2008 - 8:49am

Hi Dee and welcome to the board.

Please please don't feel bad or embarrassed to be here. We are all in the same boat and are here to help each other. No one on this board judges.

First of all, congratulations on taking the first step and admitting there is

Bex -

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2008 - 9:03am

Welcome to the board.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2008 - 9:30am

Welcome to the board. I have been where you are. I am finally seeing my last credit card being paid off hopefully in a couple more months. I love this board, every one is so supportive. You'll love it here. Post your budget, and we can all suggest ways to save money.

Hope you stay on board with us!

Dana

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2008 - 9:53am

Hello there welcome to the board,

You know one thing I have learned over the years the Jones don't really care if you keep up. In fact they haven't even noticed if you have. Because they are to busy taking care of their own behinds. When you understand that and live within your means then the sun will come out for

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2008 - 8:49pm

Wow - this really is a supportive board! I will try to figure out what's what this weekend... I'll admit though, the thought of really facing this kind of makes me feel sick. Actually, I really just want to go to bed and hide my head under the pillow until next year.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone. Now it's time to get real...*sigh*

Lilypie 4th Birthday TickerLilypie
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2008 - 9:22pm

Every time you you do something to keep up with the Jones, remember this (I tell my friends this every time we go shopping for the day...more like girls luncheon and gab session):

The Jones, who are broke,

...Kim

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2008 - 10:11pm

Hello, Dee, and welcome to the board.

I, too, found it very intimidating to post here for the very first time.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2008 - 11:59am

Hi Dee - welcome to the board.

I promise you that adding everything up is not anywhere near as bad as not knowing.

All my best,
Danni