Very scared

iVillage Member
Very scared
Mon, 04-07-2008 - 7:31pm

Hi everyone,

I decided to come out of lurkerdom.

I went with a credit counseling agency 4 years ago. 2 of my cards are down to $3k total, down from $11K.

I have not debted in a long time--I have no open credit cards and never want one again.

The 3rd card is the problem. I didn't pay any attention to where my money was going each month. I pay the agency on the 15th, and they pay the creditor. Well, they have been paying the 3rd card one day late every month and I now owe nearly $900 on it.

The collection agency for Sears called me on Friday. It was a bad day. I needed emergency oral surgery the day before that cost $645. I only have about 1K in emergency funds, and I had to draw from that. I had that money set aside because I will need fibroid surgery and will need time to recover. I will have to put that off now.

iVillage Member
In reply to: megcat714
Mon, 04-07-2008 - 7:41pm

I know nothing about CCC so forgive me, but I would be calling the people who pay your credit cards and I would tell them what Sears said. Ask them why they are paying Sears late. Ask them what they can do to resolve the problem with Sears and then go from there.

Other people on this board are way smarter than I am so I'll leave the rest to them.

Good Luck,

Dana

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2008 - 8:47pm

They are blaming me for not keeping a closer eye on it.

They are correct; I handed it off to them and trusted them. I'll come right out and say I am uncomfortable dealing with money. I've never had it. What little I have doesn't cover it all. I am a classic underearner. When I started paying the agency, I breathed a sigh of relief that I wouldn't have to deal with credit card companies again. I thought this would do the trick. I addressed half my problem in the last 4 years....I no longer debt. I go without a lot of things, i.e dentist appts that are desperately needed,

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2008 - 8:57pm

check with your couselor they should have a letter from Sears agreeing to the terms of the agreement the couselor made with Sears,

That is why you go with people like the couselor to take care of such things.

Mary Ann

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2008 - 9:43pm

Mary Ann is right. You need to call your credit management place and have them deal with Sears. You can call the attorney general but you need to have all your paper work together first.

Dana

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2008 - 9:54pm

hello I don't know too much about how ccc works either but I do know that threatening you is illegal .

So every time they call or you call them do your self a favor and write down the name of the individual .

and make sure they state clearly why they are calling . I use to be afraid of them too. But over the years the worst they could do was garnish my wages or leaned on my house . Luckily in the past i was able to pay quite a few of them off.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2008 - 11:37pm

Um, I believe you are to refer all their calls to the credit counselors you have hired. The bad people that are breaking the law by calling you, treating you unprofessionally will hear you if you speak in legal terms.

If you can discuss this very issue with your credit counselors, they should tell you exactly what you are to tell the harassers, verbatim, when they call you. That should stop them in their tracks.

I urge you not to beat yourself up. I know you feel isolated. But you are getting to the bottom of this. You are near the end of your debt.

I am sooo sorry for the loss of your love one.

Please hang on, I'm sure you will get somewhere once you get on the phone with your counselors. They will go to bat for you.

You can get your free credit report on line when you are ready for that step.

You know how hard it is to clean your house and it gets messier when you are in the middle of the job? Sounds like you are almost done cleaning your house.

(((HUGS))) Please don't feel lowly, 'they' win when you feel badly, remember that. The worse you feel, means 'they' are winning. Don't let them win. You are living up to your end of the bargain with credit counselors and you can't do much better than that. These attackers are coming at you from the side door, close the side door and make them face your gate keepers (credit counselors).

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2008 - 7:15pm
Thank you all for the replies. Some of the women here sound so strong, and I envy your strength and hope that one day I can be as strong. I pray I can get out of this.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2008 - 12:44am

Well, I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself to feel all strong and resilient right now. You are going through a terrible loss. Hopefully you can give yourself time to grieve.

Back to your finances, everyone I know who has fallen behind on their bills complain that Sears will not cooperate with credit counselors. I really wonder if the payments were sent late or that Sears held the payments to be posted a day late? Keep that in mind. Don't let them push you around. Sleazy Sears strikes again.

So, you are so not alone. I'm glad to hear from you. I'm glad you are posting. Women solved their problems and learn through talking their way out of their dilemmas. So chat here. Work through your conversations with your credit counselors here if you like. We are here for you.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2008 - 6:38pm

Listen love we all did not start out that way strong i mean it takes some hardships and biting the bullet and all that to get the strength to get on with your plans .

Take care georgianna