(re) Introduction

iVillage Member
(re) Introduction
Sat, 04-19-2008 - 2:44pm

Hi everyone,

I am the CL of one of the playgroups here on IVillage, so I have been around awhile. I'm a homeschooling mom of four... 3 boys, and a baby girl born this February :-) I used to post to this board a few years ago, and found it SO helpful in keeping me accountable while we got out of some 40K worth of CC debt.

We sold our house in 2005 (back when it was actually a *good* market to sell a house :p) and moved across the country from NH to AZ. Our profits made it possible to clean up the last of our debts, AND have money to live on while my husband searched for a job. He has a great job now, and we just bought another house in November of 06.

The problem - and the reason that brings me back to the board - is that we're back in debt :( The majority of it is related to house renovations. When we bought this house, we originally intended it to be a shorter term investment. We got a great deal on it, made major upgrades, and were going to sell after a year. Of course then the market went south, and now we won't be selling for a good while. Thankfully, we're happy and comfortable here for the time being. The other big contributor was medical and dental bills. Last year my 3 year old was hospitalized for 3 days with rotivirus, my 11 year old had eye surgery and some major dental work, I had my wisdom teeth pulled, etc etc. Then I ended up having a complicated pregnancy and racking up another $1000 in OB copay bills for emergency visits. And NOW I'm facing having my gall bladder removed in the next month. My dh is getting a raise this fall, and the first thing we are doing is setting up a medical fund!!! It's the one fund we're lacking, and boy, we could have used it this past year.

All told, we have $14,000 in CC debt (spread over 3 cards), $33,000 in car loans (3 cars), and two mortgages. We'll have one of our cards paid off in just a couple months, so it feels good to be taking those baby steps. I'm thankful that we're able to pay more than the minimums, and are slowly but surely getting it paid down. I just remembered how much support I got here in the past, and felt like I could use it again!

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

jennifer

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: jvm28
Sat, 04-19-2008 - 5:17pm

Hi, Jennifer.

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter and welcome back!

I feel your pain about the unexpected medical expenses.