New, maybe?

iVillage Member
New, maybe?
Tue, 04-22-2008 - 8:41pm

I think I introduced myself here before, but I'm not sure, and it was a long time ago...so here's my new intro I guess. I'll be 20 in a week, and I'm in a little bit of credit card debt, about $1300.00. I know it's not nearly as much as most of you, but I'm also working a minimum wage job with only 27 hours a week and go to school full time. I probably sound like an immature little college girl right now, $1300 worth of credit card debt, but let me explain...I'm diabetic (taking two types of insulin and pills to protect my kidneys, plus stuff to check my blood with, plus decent food is a must, I can't live on Ramen like a lot of college kids), I have a thyroid condition (another pill), and I have endometriosis (I should take hormonal birth control, but decided aspirin is much cheaper). Sometimes I can't afford everything so I have to put it on my credit card. I also am trying to save money so I'm not totally at a loss when I have to start paying back my student loan. My parents help out a lot, they pay half my rent each month since my roomate flaked and moved out, and since they won't co-sign another loan, they're paying my tuition (which I hope to pay them back someday), and I don't feel right asking them for more help because their money is tight also. So, I'm working on it, and lately I've been able to afford everything without my credit cards, I just need to get those paid off. The future looks good, though, in August I'm moving in with my boyfriend, and probably getting a better paying job, and my bills will be cut in half.

Wow, that was a little rambly...on a good note I just found out I have fair credit...I thought it would be horrible seeing as how I have two almost maxed out credit cards and I'm only 20.

iVillage Member
In reply to: uncouth19
Tue, 04-22-2008 - 11:47pm

You don't sound immature at all. Recognizing your debts now is a good thing. College is never an easy time for anyone and I'd say your medical concerns don't help matters.

I'd suggest snowflaking the credit card as and when you can.

Lyn

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2008 - 9:53am

You are not being a baby at all!

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2008 - 11:58am

Yes, I have a budget, an incredibly strict one at that. I don't eat out, I don't buy anything I don't need, I never buy name brand anything, I save everywhere I can. I'd like to think I can stop charging, and lately I've been okay with it, but when it comes down to it, I had to and may have to again if I can't afford my insulin. Literally I could go into a coma in die, and I'd rather be in $500,000 of debt than be as sick as I will if I let my health go.

Most months I'm able to pay more than the minimun. Last month I was able to pay $100 on both of them, so I'm getting there, I guess.

Oh...and whadoes snowflaking mean?

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2008 - 4:45am
I find it difficult to explain. There is a link to the board website at the top of the main page. Becky has a good explanation there.
Lyn