vacation denial

iVillage Member
vacation denial
Mon, 05-19-2008 - 5:40pm

Hi everyone,

I have started to pay down a lot of debt (it'll be a long road), and I am having a hard time with the idea that I can't afford a vacation for my kids (6 and 9) this year. They are going to a wonderful summer camp, but that's all we can do. How do others deal with the need to get away? What do you substitute for it?

Thanks

iVillage Member
In reply to: elizabet0
Mon, 05-19-2008 - 6:13pm

With everything I do I look for the most bang for the buck.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-19-2008 - 7:18pm

Trudy,

That sounds great. I do enjoy freebies or cheapies. Sometimes I feel like a doofus constantly bargain-hunting, but it is a fun game. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Elizabeth

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-19-2008 - 7:18pm

Hi,

I agree with the PP about basically becoming a tourist in your own area.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-19-2008 - 11:31pm

I don't remember going on a vacation away until I was 12 - and I had great summers. We got books from the library, went camping with our cousins, went to summer daycamp (for 3 weeks each summer), volunteered at community events, (okay, I wasn't very helpful), stayed at my grandparents for a weekend, made maps of our neighbourhood, etc.

We each got our own little part of the yard to be a garden and we planted flowers. We were very energetic about weeding and watering. All of our plants died, until one year our mom bought bedding plants and we planted them.

We would make popsicles in the freezer each week for snacks. We had a bucket of chalk, a bag of marbles, bicycles and helmets, a kite (actually, we had 3, but two quickly broke), and a box of random craft stuff. We had baking soda, vinegar, and film canisters. We had a camera: My parents now have a box of photos of the cat, my thumb, the cat, the tree, the cat, and blurry blobs. My mom once spent an entire day teaching us marble games and trying to convince us that they were fun. We waited until she went back inside and went back to pretending that we were bowling with the world's tiniest bowling balls.

If we complained we were bored, we could vacuum, dust, clean our rooms, practice our musical instruments, do math worksheets, sweep the floor, or wipe the cupboard doors down.

I think the need to go away on vacation is an adult invention. I don't remember being all that bothered about not going away, but none of my friends went away either, so I guess that made it easier. Other than the film for the camera and the chalk, it didn't really cost my mom anything. Our backyard was very popular because we had good sticker collections, a kiddie pool, and a mom that brought out snacks every day at 10:30 and 3:00.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2008 - 5:44am

What a great post!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2008 - 6:41am

Wow.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2008 - 6:22pm

When the kids were younger we used to drive up to an old house owned by some members of my family. It was on the water and the area was beautiful.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-21-2008 - 9:07am

I think they'll take their cue from you. If you don't talk about missing out on vacation, they probably won't notice it. While going away is nice, I've never expected to do it. In fact, DH and I have never been out of the country - our first "vacation" was a long weekend to Washington DC, and we only took two other vacations (in the US) before we started having kids and vacations became a thing of the past for several years.

Like others, my family vacations were mostly nonexistent, and we didn't go to camp either. No money for that, with 5 kids. When we went places, it was usually to visit my aunt who had a glorious house in the Boston area, or to my uncle in Virginia (equally glorious in the spring!). We lived near a beach, so in the summer my mom would drop us off at the entrance (there was a fee to drive in, so we walked in!). We also did a lot of little stuff - summer art classes in the basement of the Presbyterian church, summer theatre in the park, and so on.

If you have a great summer camp, you shouldn't feel badly about not being able to take the kids on vacation. If you do get to take time off yourself, just plan things to be an explorer in your area, go out to dinner, and so on.

Kelly

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-21-2008 - 11:36am

<>

Wow, I couldnt agree more.