Don't know what to do....

iVillage Member
Don't know what to do....
Mon, 05-26-2008 - 5:22pm

Hello, I am in a constant state of depression because I don't know how to get out of this mess!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-27-2008 - 7:14am

Hello, and welcome to the board.

I am so sorry to hear of the circumstances that have befallen you and I am glad you posted.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-27-2008 - 9:23am

Welcome to the board.

Here is my 2 cents

First call your homeowners see if you can get any discounts and what the difference is if you raise your deductible. I would say also to call around and see if you can change companies. If you think you have the credit score to do so that may help too.

Get rid of DLS if you can and for a while go to something like netzero. That will get you on the net and the boards and your email as good as a 40.00 a month bill.

If you got call waiting and caller ID let it go and be surprised or get a cheap answering machine.

How many TV do you have cable boxes on. Turn all the boxes except one in and that will save you 10.00 a box.

Call your gas and light company see if you can get on a plan program. That may lower you bill each month and also it will give you a fixed amount to work with.

Sit down do a menu for a week Get the whole family to help. Write it down on the ref and make it cheap. No more then 100.00 a week It can be done. Takes work and a few coupons but it can be done with the size of family you have.

Check with the city see if they have a program that will help you refinance the house. There are a few places that have been calling me here in Louisville that are refinancing houses. Oh is your house on a ARM LOAN it not at least that is a good thing.

Car insurance call them see if you can get a cheaper rate.

Don't look at the 600.00 a month Look at it as 150.00 a week smaller numbers are easier to deal with sometime.

Put the house on line anywhere you can for free.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2008 - 10:38pm
Even though you don't have equity in the house, it might be a good idea to get rid of the financial responsibility of it anyway and find cheaper, rental accomodations for the time being. Is there any way you can get rid of one of the cars?

Travi

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2008 - 3:34pm

lovred, sorry you are going through such a tough time.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2008 - 5:44pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.