Introduction

iVillage Member
Introduction
Thu, 06-12-2008 - 10:18pm
iVillage Member
In reply to: megpie2182
Thu, 06-12-2008 - 11:43pm

First may I be the first to welcome you to the board.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-13-2008 - 7:39am

Hello, and welcome to the board.

I personally feel that you should do what you love.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-14-2008 - 3:11am

hey girl!

as far as the career opportunity, i would say that you should seriously consider taking the job you will love. im broke, so trust me when i say i know that 5K is a whole lotta money. and i do think it makes a difference because its more $ you can put towards paying down your debt. but with these other opportunities knocking at your door- you already know you will love and value your position- and we all know saisfied employees are more productive and loyal to their companies- this can lead to promotions- which can easily make up or even surpass the 5K difference. maybe you can talk to the other employers and negotiate a higher pay or at least get a feel for how often and on what merit the companies promote their employees...that might help you make your decision. also, what has your hubby advised you to do??

if your hubby is currently unemployed, do you know if he would consider working outside his desired field or even trying a contract/temp agency for the time being?

xoxo

bri

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-14-2008 - 11:00pm

Hello and welcome!

I would say that you should seriously consider taking the lower pay for what you believe to be the right job. There are some things I'm assuming though. I'm assuming that there is a career track there that you will be building towards higher income in the long run. Depending on what your BS is in, that may not be a reliable assumption. If you think you are always going to underearn in your chosen career, that is sort of another matter but I do absolutely agree that it's not worth it to give up a dream for $5k even if my assumption isn't true.

On DH's student loan side, he can probably defer his loans if he is unemployed and if he is under-earning, they may be able to provide income sensitive payments for him or a forbearance. There are a jillion options for repayment of student loans. Have him call the lender and find out what all of them are. Keep calling until you find someone that can explain all the options. Hopefully he will make better money as the years go on and you'll make up whatever ground you lost in this period.

Hang in there!

Peg