debt support

iVillage Member
debt support
Sun, 06-15-2008 - 2:30pm

Hi Girls,

I am new to this sight and just found it by chance. My DH and I have a huge amount of CC debt that we just can not seem to get out of. It is nice to know that I am not the only one struggling with this.Hope to get to know you all!!!

reily
reily

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-15-2008 - 5:08pm

Welcome to the board The first step is to get all your bills together and post your numbers.

Some times things are not as bad as you think they are and sometimes they are worse But the knowing which way

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-15-2008 - 8:53pm
Thanks.I have been
reily
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2008 - 12:13am

I know what you mean about the stress of things. My mind and body is breaking down after being under so much worry for a couple of years. I am not big on sleeping any more either.
So believe me when I say we are all in the same boat or have been. You are not alone.

Sometimes also we have to make big changes that at the beginning hurt a little but you get used to doing.

Cutting things out like call waiting on the phone and caller id. Cutting out the long distance fee on a land line Sending back a cable box. Cutting back on the amount of stations you get for a while. Calling up insurances Car and homeowner to get discounts or to up the deductible We get 35.00 a year because my husband reads Readers Digest.
Using coupons at the grocery store and making meals only using the lost leaders from the Sunday adds. We have started to use our Kroger charge card to buy gas because we get a 15Cent discount on a gal. But we pay it off each month like clockwork. We have joined a few clubs on line Captain Dee has a club and they send out free meals sometimes.

I am a big coke drinker. One a day is my limit. You can put in the cap numbers on line and get free movies from blockbuster. Buy one get one free. Two movies for 4.76. We limit our selves to two every two weeks. We used to have a membership but I dropped it. 29.00 a month.

We have the cheapest cell phone we can get. Some time having insurance car insurance taken out of your checking each month can save you 3.00 a month If you can not pay a lump sum every 6 months.

I also went to a credit union for my checking account I get interest 4% for money that is in my checking account until I use it. That makes a few dollars a month.

We are on a very limit income so every dollar has to count as if it was 2.00.

When you are doing the bills think of all the small things you can cut out if you haven't already.
For years the phone company had been charging me 7.00 a month for line insurance. I found out that since my house was on slab all they would do if my line broke is string a new line on the outside of the house. They would not go into the walls at all. So I dropped the line insurance. My husband can run lines around the outside of the house.

Making menus for the week. Sticking to a list when you go in a store. Dividing your spending sometime between stores or even buying from drug store when they have sales are all ways to cut overhead. Get a few dollars to snowflake on a bill.

My total snowflake last week was 3.50 that is all I had left after a weeks living but I went on and sent it to a bill 3.50 is better then nothing.

Hugs
Mary Ann

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2008 - 5:29am

We have been trying to cut corners but it seems everything is going up and we are in the negative at the end of the month.I do not sleep much either too much to worry about. Thanks for the tips and the support.I pay the bills and my DH goes not know exactly how much debt we have. This only adds to my stress level.

Hugs,

Reily

reily
reily
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2008 - 5:41am

Also were to I post my numbers and what is snowball check in.

reily
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2008 - 6:41am
numbers go on the top of the page
and check in is I think third down you will see it It is on Monday and Friday each week.
I know you are cutting back so are we but sometime we got to cut until it bleeds.
Hugs
Mary Ann
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2008 - 7:10am
How do figuire out a plan for repayment?
reily
reily
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2008 - 7:37am

Some people will tell you the lowest balance with the highest interest.

But I will tell you how I do it and then you do it the way that is best for you.

I go for the highest percentage rate of payment on the month. It is hard for me to do the lowest balance because my lowest balance is like 4,000 and the interest is like 1.9 I have worked by cards down to where the highest is 3.9 %

I snowflake the balance that will give me the best return on the next month. I go for the payments that are 2% of the balance. Say a balance is 4,825.00 Ok 48+48 is 96 I try to get it down to 47

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2008 - 10:01am

Hello Reily and welcome to the board.

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2008 - 5:36pm

Mary Ann,

I have had such a busy week I have not been able to check this sight.I am so depressed my finances seem to get worse and worse. Our payments are so high we are barely getting by and my DH does not know the whole financial situation and as it is our marriage is strained I do not know what will happen if he finds out how much dept we have.

reily

Pages