What should we do? (behind on mortgage)

iVillage Member
What should we do? (behind on mortgage)
Mon, 10-05-2009 - 8:17pm

My husband and I bought a house a little over 2 years ago, and from the start we were behind the eight-ball.

Wendy
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-05-2009 - 8:41pm

I am sorry I don't have any advice as I don't know what the rules are in the States.

I just want to say...I can't imagine anyone being negative with you as most if not everybody wants to own their own home and cocoon.

I am terribly sorry you and your family are going through this...remember the love of your family comes first...support each other and nurture each other...

You will have shelter with your incomes (even if you lose this home)

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-05-2009 - 8:50pm

Hugs to you.

No matter what - as long as your family of four is together and safe - the rest is just details. You guys just need to stick together and hold tight.

ANY way you or your DH can get a secondary income? Dog walking? Retail shops tend to hire around the holiday season. I know it stinks to be away from your kids but it would just be to get you current on bills and such.

Car pooling to work? Cutting cable (if you haven't already?) Getting rid of cell phones (until you get current on household bills) anything you can do? I am sure you have thought of this stuff 100 times but I just wanted to throw some stuff out there to think about.

Any way you'd consider a renter for one room? Make extra that way?

Just grasping for ideas.

Either way - keep us posted on how you are and know you are doing your best.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 11:23am

Hugs to you and your family.

Can you down grade in vehicles? Is there any thing you can sell to get current on your mortgage and get rid of those pay day loans? Help from family?

Good luck to you.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 2:49pm

Wendy -

You have the right to be worried!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-08-2009 - 2:40am

About 40 odd years ago we were in the same spot as you. Our house payment was about three months behind and we were late on just everything. It was either come up with a plan or lose the house. And I was not about to lose the house.

So we sold everything we could we kept the water and electric and let the gas go We bought little electric heaters and stayed in one room.