Intro

iVillage Member
Intro
Wed, 10-28-2009 - 9:32pm

I had posted earlier on a couple of topics, and thought I should introduce myself. I have been reading this board for a year or so now and have learned so so much from you all, so thank you!

I am in my mid thirties, live in the northeast and just purchased my first home in August. I work full time, no children, my BF and I have been together for 13 years.

From age 18, when I got my first credit card, I have had credit card debt. As the years progressed, the debt got bigger & bigger. Everytime my income increased, somehow the debt followed. Instead of applying the additional income to debt, I continued to charge. I have no idea what it all was for, and have not too much to show for it.

My total eventually got up to over $50,000, including a car loan. I was sick with worry & couldn't sleep.

I was overwhelmed, working 3 jobs to pay for it all and felt like there was no way to better the situation. I looked into filing bankruptcy, but decided that it was not the right choice for me. I then made a promise to myself that I was not going to live that way any more. Like you all that have said this, I stopped using the cards, I started paying attention to where my money was going. That was in January of 2004. Two and a half years later I was able to start saving my money, as if that was the biggest bill I ever had.

I still find it way too easy to use the credit card, and have had to reel myself in many times. I am always willing to learn new techniques and listen to others experiences.

Thanks for reading, nice to "meet" you all! :)

iVillage Member
In reply to: dollarsandscents
Thu, 10-29-2009 - 5:16am
Welcome to the boards and congratulations on your decision to finally conquer that debt!

Kate

Kate

empty purse

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-29-2009 - 8:35am

Thanks for the welcome!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-29-2009 - 9:22am

Congratulations for your accomplishments.

Norma

"Patience is the best remedy for every trouble"- Plautus

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-29-2009 - 10:57am

Welcome to the board.

Good luck with your journey. You said something I like a lot: save like its your biggest bill. Love it. I might use that saying, I hope you don't mind.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-29-2009 - 4:13pm

By all means use it and spread the word! It is so hard to put ourselves on the list, never mind make ourselves any kind of priority, don't you think? We do, and do and do for everyone else, and make sure everyone is taken care of. Yet, when there is a financial crisis....is there anything left