New here

iVillage Member
New here
Sun, 11-22-2009 - 2:46pm

Hi everyone,

After years of debting, I'm finally owning up to this problem and want to get on the road to recovery. In my twenties, I accumulated about $9,800 of credit card debt which I managed to pay off and stayed out of debt for a few years. Then it started again. I had breaks in employment due to the internet bubble bursting in the bay area and I loaned a boyfriend $13,000 by getting a personal loan even when my inner voice said no. From there to today, my debt just kept climbing to where now it's around 50,000. gulp. I have a budget written down but it's really tight and I'm making the minimum payments on my cards. Still it's hard to give up the goodies in life and just stick to the bare necessities. This is where my irrational thinking keeps me in debt it seems.

I've been working as an independent contractor for almost 2 years and this is dangerous because it can feel like you are making more money than you are. I need to good system to make sure the tax portion gets put away and paid to the IRS. For 2008, I didn't do this and spent the money instead. So this put me in deeper debt.

I'm in therapy to deal with the roots of my problem and am working towards attending DA meetings.

Thanks for letting me share.

Kelly

iVillage Member
In reply to: kelly770
Sun, 11-22-2009 - 3:14pm

Hi Kelly and welcome to the boards!

I think a lot of us are like you ... we paid off our debts earlier in life, only to find ourselves in deep debt once again.

Kate

empty purse

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-22-2009 - 10:11pm

Hi Kelly...

Welcome to the board...

I have a big debt load as well but with support, stamina and effort we will get this debt down...

All the best and post often

Duke

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-22-2009 - 10:20pm

Kelly -

WELCOME!