Intro

iVillage Member
Intro
Sun, 12-06-2009 - 10:40am

Hi everyone. :) I'm E (27) and I live in Virginia. I am not sure if I've introduced myself here before, but I thought I should before I asked some questions! I lurk on the debt related boards quite a bit, and I've posted questions in the past about my BF's issues.

I have credit card debt from making stupid choices in my early 20's when I didn't know better. I also just recently started paying my student loans for my undergrad (graduated in Dec 08). I started paying that back early and above the minimum due so I'm very proud of that. I have been paying attention to my credit score over the last year or so and it is slowly improving. I just started working in November after 11 long hard months of unemployment post graduating college. I am very underemployed, but grateful to have a job at all. Right now I am very into learning about budgeting.

My biggest money struggle is the fact that I am supported by my parents. I am extremely lucky to have their support, but have a strong desire to stand on my own feet. During my teens/early 20's I didn't understand the value of work or money and abused my parents generosity. I've wanted to be financially independent for a long time now, but there have been many hurdles along the way. Finishing college (and commuting 3 hours a day while not working), not being able to find a job post college, health issues (while uninsured), etc. Despite the struggles I have made good progress since I started tackling this more seriously in March 09. I no longer use a credit card of my parents (I used to have unlimited access to one), and I finally take a smaller amount per month for living expenses. I have a lot of shame and guilt attached to being dependent on my parents and need to learn to be kinder to myself because paying off debt, improving credit, starting a career, and building savings are all things that require a great deal of time and patience.

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

iVillage Member
In reply to: iv_aingeal
Mon, 12-07-2009 - 8:07am

Welcome to the board.

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-07-2009 - 1:38pm
Welcome! I'm in VA, too. It's funny b/c I rarely see anyone from VA on the boards, LOL. Anyway, it sounds like you're off to a good, responsible start. I hope the journey for you is a good one, and I'm so glad you've decided to jump on the road with all of us! Nice to "meet" you!

Photobucket

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

Sarah
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-07-2009 - 4:26pm

Becky and Sarah, thank you so much for the kind welcomes! :) I'm sure I can learn a lot from this board. Good luck on your respective financial journeys!

Sarah - where in VA are you? I get excited when I see others from my state too. I'm in Northern Virginia/Shenandoah Valley region.

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker