New here.. need to find some inspiration

iVillage Member
New here.. need to find some inspiration
Sun, 01-24-2010 - 3:18pm

I am new here, and hoping to find some inspiration through this group and some accountability to stay on the path I want to be on in paying off our debt.

Jeslyn, The Improbable Housewife
http://theimprobablehousewife.blogspot.com/

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-24-2010 - 5:06pm

Welcome, Jeslyn! I'm totally in charge of the bills in my house but only because I LOVE it. DH tunes out the numbers b/c he's not a numbers guy, but if we're short a few hundred dollars on the month all I have to do is let him know and he goes out and finds the work to earn it. In a way, we both feel like we've got the better end of the deal. He doesn't have to worry with the details - just the bottom line - and I don't have to panic when it's not there at the end of the month. =c) I certainly wish for you that it could be so easy, but it truly never is. I say if you've got to do it on your own then you get to decide how it's done, BUT it will go much more quickly if you try to get those interest rates reduced! Years ago we were in the cycle of late and overlimit fees so I can relate (we no longer carry credit card balances and haven't used one in years). Back in the day I had them knocked down from over 20-25% to under 10% - and even 0% - just by asking. It really does help to call, even when you're focusing on another bill. If you don't believe it, try doing a calculator or two! For example, $5,000 at 29% w/ a $200 payment each month will take 39 months to pay off. If you drop the interest rate to 10% and keep the payment the same, it only takes 29 months. (Those payments may be way off - I don't know what payments are b/c we don't have 'em). But just looking at the numbers, $200 a month for 10 months is $2,000 saved!

Glad you joined in. Best of luck to you in your journey!

Photobucket

FLINGING DEBT:
Sarah
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-24-2010 - 7:31pm

Welcome --- and the MOST important thing is just to start

Lila
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 12:11pm

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 5:38pm

hi and welcome! i am new here, too.

i advise gathering all your debts, figuring out a general game plan and a budget. i can't believe what a weight was lifted off my shoulders once i had a plan and a way to put that plan into action. it's seems like such a small thing, but it's such a relief to know what you are going to do and how and when.

i wish you luck! -andi

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 2:07pm
Hi and welcome! I'm pretty new here too and don't get alot of time to post since I work long hours. I'm 34K in debt and