Saying it out loud

iVillage Member
Saying it out loud
Sun, 01-31-2010 - 2:45pm

I have $10,281.87 in credit card debt. In the last year I have paid $850 dollars towards the debt but I still have a long way to go and I realize that I am going to have to do much better this year if I am ever going to be free of this debt. I acknowledge that regardless of the circumstances that got me here this is my responsibility and I take full responsibility for it. I admit that I need God's help to change. I forgive myself for any past mistakes I have made and commit myself to responsible living.

Whew! That's the first time I have said that! I am not brave enough to say it in my out loud voice yet so I am hoping that by being honest on this message board I will receive the support to not lose hope or my self esteem as I change my life one day at a time.

SusieSmiles One day at a time!

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-31-2010 - 4:50pm

yay! what a great first step. congrats on the honest assessment! it's true that you can't know where you will go until you know where you are. everyone on this board is with you in this. post as much as you can about your situation and you'll get some great feedback about how to tackle your debts. i recently joined and the suggestions were amazingly helpful!

good luck to you! may you have the strength to change your life, one day at a time. :)

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-31-2010 - 8:33pm

Shout it from the virtual rooftops girl! :) Be proud of yourself for coming to this board and getting your story out. One day at a time is how you will overcome your debt and change your life. You CAN do this!! :)

Is there just one person in your real life you could speak those words to out loud? A non-judgemental friend, co-worker, or family member? You never know, other people in your life could be struggling with debt too, or maybe they did in the past and would have great advice to share with you.

Best of luck to you! :)

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-31-2010 - 10:41pm
I don't want to share it with any one right now because the people I trust would feel like they should help. I don't want my family to think I am asking for help. Mostly I guess I'm still just so embarrassed about it. Thank you for your reply. I really do feel better just being honest about the size of it. I appreciate the vote of confidence.:-)

One day at a time!

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 7:16am

I understand not wanting to tell and wanting to do this on your own. I didn't talk much about what I was going through when I first started tackling my debt and bad credit (back in March 09), even though it was on my mind constantly! :) However, now that I'm having success I find myself bursting to tell people! I hope you have the same experience. :)

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 1:24pm

The best way to do the best you can do as far as debt repayment is to educate your self where it comes to money and how the companies you owe figures their interest. When you learn

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 2:14pm

Well as they say in AA - The first step is admitting you have a problem lol. Good job on owning up to it & "speaking" the words.

I totally know what you mean about not wanting to tell people. I'm an accountant and DH & I managed to rack up $77,000 of consumer debt/personal loans. Talk about embarrassing! I've told my parents about it (sort of) but we also owe them $5,000 so they're one of my creditors & I feel bad talking to them about anything!

Hopefully you will find the right path to get your debt gone forever!

Melissa
~ Mom to 5 ~
~ Melissa ~ ‎"We need to find the courage to say NO to the things and people that are not serving us, if we want to rediscover ourselves and live our lives with authenticity." - Barbara de Angelis
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 2:26pm

Welcome,

You will find lots of support and advice here. Good luck!

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 3:12pm

That first step is a biggie.

Norma

"Patience is the best remedy for every trouble"- Plautus

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 10:15pm
That is very good advice. I really do need to educate myself. It took me a long time before I would even look at the bills because I just couldn't deal with it. I look at them now and have talked to the CC company. I have really been scared to look at how much I was losing to the high interest rate. As if not knowing would make it go away. I will make it a priority to learn as much as I can. Thanks, susie

SusieSmiles

One day at a time!

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 10:23pm
Wow, thanks to all for the support. I really appreciate it!

SusieSmiles

One day at a time!

Pages