Hi, my name is Stephanie....

iVillage Member
Hi, my name is Stephanie....
Wed, 02-17-2010 - 5:49pm

And I am at least $23,000 in debt right now. Well, not just me it's my husband too. You don't even want to know what we did to get into this kind of debt. I don't even want to know.

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-17-2010 - 6:36pm

hi stephanie- i'm andi. i am glad that you have decided to join us. where there's a will, there's a way and so it is also with debt repayment. post any specifics for advice or questions in general... look forward to seeing you around the boards!

congrats on deciding to tackle the debt! best of luck!

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-17-2010 - 10:37pm
Hi there, coming from over me being over $70k in debt (w/o the house included) you are looking good!! I can say that everyone here has been nice & very helpful in the short time I've been on. It definitely takes work, but it becomes enjoyable when you see progress in your debts!
First Debt BUSTED 2/12/10

First Debt BUSTED 2/12/10 Second Debt BUSTED 2/26/10 Third Debt BUSTED 3/19/10
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-18-2010 - 9:45am

Hi Stephanie and welcome to the boards!

Kate

empty purse

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-18-2010 - 10:20am

Hi Stephanie

DH & I are currently over $70K in debt, and you don't want to know what we did to get there either! lol!
Welcome, and make sure you check in often, it helps keep you motivated & accountable!

Melissa
~ Mom to 5 ~
~ Melissa ~ ‎"We need to find the courage to say NO to the things and people that are not serving us, if we want to rediscover ourselves and live our lives with authenticity." - Barbara de Angelis
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-18-2010 - 12:45pm

Welcome,

This is a great way to hold yourself accountable. This can be done. Do you have an emergency fund so you don't need to go further in debt if something comes up? Most people start with $1000 then begin paying things down.

Good luck!

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-18-2010 - 1:08pm
We actually took $1000 right off the top of our tax returns for an efund. I'm breathing a

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-19-2010 - 1:52pm

wahoo for an efund. (yay!)

do you have a budget? if not- it's the next thing to start on. it takes a while (as they have to remind me, i am still in my first month of being on a budget...) having a budget will keep you from touching the efund for non-emergency items. and it will let you know if you have any extra money to throw at your debt!

it's really eye opening to see where your money is going and to start to work to put it where you want it to go.

you are off to a great start- congrats!

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-19-2010 - 1:54pm

Welcome to the board I know what it is to be 30,000 in debt. And I also know the work it take to make the debt go down.

I have no idea what kind of income you have I am sure it is more then what we have coming in a month. Just

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-19-2010 - 2:29pm

You're absolutely right! Every dime counts when paying off debt. We do have a budget but just like everyone else when they start out it quickly gets eaten up by those things that we just can't seem to live without. This week I've already put a lot of money toward debt and hopefully I can do more next week. I just found out DH has a rediculous amount owed on his snap-on bill but thankfuly it's intrest free so we aren't losing money that way.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-22-2010 - 12:02am
Hi Stephanie, Believe me you are not alone in this. I am about 32K in CC debt right now due to being out of work for almost a year. I'm working now which is good but my salary is alot lower than it was. I am grateful I have a job now and take each day as it comes. I started by calling my creditors and seeing if I could get my payments or interest lowered. My debt is spread over 4 cards. I did manage to get one of them to lower the interest from 24-12% so that has helped. It will take me a long time to dig out but I'm ready. I started tracking my spending very closely in January and discovered that I was spending way too much on groceries and eating out. Now I'm clipping coupons and shopping sales every week and not eating out. No mall shopping at all either.

Pages