New here... again...debt free this time.

iVillage Member
New here... again...debt free this time.
Tue, 02-23-2010 - 9:22am

Hello. Reintroducing myself after lurking for years and posting minimally. I use to frequent this board 10 years ago when my life was much more stressful than it is now and $10,000 in CC debt. We had a series of good job promotions and an overseas assignment. We got out of debt and when we returned to the US we bought older, used cars and paid cash. We bought a house for way less than the banks said we could afford. We didn't buy i phones when all our friends were telling us we should have one. I can't believe the amount of pressure we've experience from friends who were shocked that we bought used cars, or didn't buy an i phone, or didn't move to the trendier part of town. Hubby says they are probably all maxed out anyway.

We've change dour outlook on spending and living. But since coming back home I'm watching neighbors and family fall apart with their jobs and finances. I realize we're always just a major catastrophe away from losing control. So I find this board to be a good reminder of how hard it is to work out of where you were and how important it is to continue making the right choices.

I think you're all wonderful and you work so hard and carry so much stress. I hope for all of us that times improve and we get to the bottom of the pile of debt and live freer and happier lives without being a slave to $$

I look forward to the continued support this board has offered me in lurkdom for years. Hopefully I can offer my shoulder sometime when needed.

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-23-2010 - 12:32pm

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your words of wisdom.

Norma

"Patience is the best remedy for every trouble"- Plautus