How long until Gluten Free effective?

iVillage Member
How long until Gluten Free effective?
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 4:25pm
Hello! My name is Debbie. I am new to this board, and recently diagnosed with Celiac disease. I have been gluten free for 2-1/2 weeks now, and am somewhat better. I still do have diarrhea (although not the severe kind experienced for months), and am wondering how long long it takes after being gluten free before it will stop, or will it ever? In all the research I have done regarding Celiac, I have never seen this specifically addressed. Does anyone know, or is anyone willing to share their experience?

Also, I am reading up on the Fat Flush diet by Ann Louise Gittleman, and am considering it because it seems to really aide the digestive system by targeting cleansing of the liver first, making the entire digestive system more efficient. It is GF, sugar and dairy free at the initial stages (two weeks)-very high protein, vegetables and 2 fruits daily. I am only wondering about the suggested drinking of a hot water and 1/2 lemon drink before breakfast (to cleanse the kidneys), and the comsumption of the diluted unsweetened cranberry juice with water instead of plain water. Does anyone have any knowledge of this plan or experience with it?

I do hope this board becomes more active, as I know there are a lot more celiacs out there than are participating here. We really need to pull together and share information that helps our condition. I am looking forward to a month long trip starting on May 15th and would really like to hear some information and suggestions for eating out while traveling.

I would appreciate hearing from all Celiacs!

Sincerely,

Debbie

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 6:06pm
Hi Debbie and Welcome aboard.

This board is new and I am new to Celiac disease too. They are still trying to figure out what is happening with me...we are trying the GF diet at the moment. I will keep everyone posted on my out come. I know the research can be overwhelming. I have heard that the diarhea does calm down a bit and for some people it stops completely...I also have Crohn's disease, IBS,GERD, osteoarthritis...I don't think I want to add anything else to this list, but you never know.(hahahahahahaha!!) Where are you going on your trip? This may give some insight as what to suggest to eat. Also I am curious... This disease can be very frustrating at times. I am glad you found us and I am hoping you hang a round. I have heard that after a month-6 wks you should see improvements in your life after being on the celiac diet. Hope this gives you some idea. Take care and it was nice to meet you.

Sunshine and Smiles.

Lynn

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 7:29pm
Hi Lynn!

Thanks so much for responding. I was beginning to believe this board was turning inactive as the celiac.com board, and would have been terribly disappointed. I was sure glad to hear from you. :-)

A month to six weeks!! Yikes!! That seems like an eternity after what I have already been through! I have hardly been able to leave home since Christmas day!! Haven't been able to go to church and even had to drop my watercolor painting class. I had also intended to look for a "fun" job in January, but that got knocked off of the list of reality, too. I do have a call in to the doctor, so I will let you know what he says regarding time factors.

I guess the good side of things is that I won't be leaving on my trip until May 15th (more than a month away), plus I am already 2-1/2 weeks of GF. For your curiosity, the first week I am going to visit my 80 year old aunt in Loves Park, Illinois, who I have not seen since I was 15 years old (at my grandmother's funeral). I am now 52, so that is a lot of years!!! Since the advent of cell phones with nationwide calling plans, we have talked every weekend for the last several years, kind of like a reunion. I am in Arizona. She just finished four chemotherapy treatments, and 30 radiation treatments for two cancerous tumors on a lung. She came through like a champ, but wanted me to wait to come see her until her hair started growing back! :-) I am really excited after all these years.

The next week, I am off to Manhattan, Kansas to visit a widower friend of mine :-). Wouldn't it be terrible to get a diarrhea attack while in the middle of a lake fishing? Then I am going to Winnipeg, Canada for TWO weeks to visit the love of my life! I may even get a marriage proposal from one or both of these men! Just thought I would through this all out here at you so you can have your chuckle for the day! But it is true, and a real reward for someone who has been single for 14 years and raised 3 kids by herself! It's a wonder the celiac didn't show up much sooner with the pleasure of 3 teenagers!

So, you have your hands full, Lynn, don't you? You may want to gather some information on the Fat Flush Plan yourself, as I have read on their iVillage board that it is effective for some of the other challenges you have. Just a thought! I guess I will just have to move into the program gradually as the diarrhea starts to go away and observe how it affects me.

Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. Thanks for the contact.

God bless,

Debbie

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 10:47pm
I received a call from the gastronologist's office this afternoon. They say it may take two to three MONTHS of being gluten free before Celiac symptoms are under control. :-(
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 6:44pm
Hi Deb!!

2-3 months isn't that long...although it can seem to be forever. But hopefully you should be feeling a little bit better. You had to drop your watercolor class?? Tell me more!! I love to paint and draw. I just recently went back to school...I must be nuts...for graphic design/art. I am fed up with retail...worked 28 years in all aspects of it...need a change...Hope you are feeling better. Keep in touch!

Hugs,

Lynn

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 4:04pm
Hi Lynn!

Two to three months still seems long to me, but after being gluten free for 3 weeks on Wednesday, the 9th, I am happy to report:

¥ I woke up at 5:00 a.m. (which I NEVER do due to exhaustion), got up and stayed up all day and night!

¥ Did not have any diarrhea in the morning

¥ Ate 3 gluten free meals without any abdominal pain or diarrhea at any time on Wednesday and Thursday

¥ Am on my THIRD DAY of these improvements and feeling alive again!!

I had almost forgotten how good it felt! And, being very straightforward here, I had my first normal bowel movement today! Celebration is really the word! Thanks for your encouragement!

I have been a graphic designer and calligrapher for over 21 years now. Watercolor painting is my hobby and stress reliever. I try to always take a class in some form of art each semester just for fun and to keep learning! Don't go into graphic design, Lynn. The industry is now flooded with everybody and their sister who has some kind of IBM clone cheapy computer who is a wanna be graphic designer. They cut the market prices way down and the industry for professionals who have many thousands of dollars invested in prime, expensive Macintosh computers are finding it difficult.

Thanks for your support, Lynn

Debbie

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 7:00pm
Debbie,

Thanks for the info on the graphic designer job...I was leaning toward that. I do painting on wood on the side. I am finding in my classes that I like the drawing and painting ones the best. The illustration one is up there too as we have to do everything by hand. I am sure that when it comes to advertising it will all be on computer or some of it. Maybe I will try to really boost my craft business and make it into something more than just a hobby for gifts for relatives. I know people want to buy some of my stuff and it sometimes amazes me. So, maybe I will concentrate on that part and see what happens over the summer...I also love to do watercolor, acrylics, and oil painting...I enjoy then all and they are really great stress releasers for me. Again, thanks for the info!!

Glad you are feeling better too!!! YAHOO!!!

Hugs,

Lynn