Question about 11 year old

iVillage Member
Question about 11 year old
Thu, 01-08-2009 - 5:07pm

My daughter has been having lower abdomen pain, some constipation/diarrhea., lethargic, generally not feeling well for over 3 weeks. We've been to the doctor and had bloodwork (CBC and glucose), urinalysis, and CT scan. All normal results. We go to the Gastro. next Wednesday. Anyway, I've been doing lots of research before we go so I can ask informed questions and Celiac is one option that seems to fit her symptoms well.

My question to you...those with some experience with this....her trouble seems to be the worst in the morning, when she first wakes up. She feels bad, has no appetite, bad stomach pains (in the lower abdomen region). As the morning moves on and she gets moving, she feels better...not perfect, but functional. Is that morning thing something that is common? If not, does anyone have any ideas...just to take as suggestions to her Gastro appointment next week?

Thanks - debbie

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-09-2009 - 5:19pm

Dear Debbie,welcome.she sure is very typical a celiac..my daughter, when she was same age was exactly the same..Even to day and she is now 44 years old although

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-10-2009 - 12:51am

Hi and welcome, Debbie!

Yeah, mornings can be hard when you don't feel well. I don't know that it's common in CD in particular but it is with many conditions.

The blood test she needs of course is the CD one. If s/he doesn't bring it up make sure you do. Do not think of trying the diet without it. I wonder if Lynne thought you'd had the blood test.... But you know how for most illnesses they can't test later and see if you have the antibodies? They'll likely know if you've had mono and a few others, but while the body holds them in reserve the antibodies aren't in the blood in enough numbers to test for.

In CD the body thinks it's fighting an invader like a bacteria or virus. The antibodies tested for aren't actually what causes the damage to the gut (the body's attempt to seal off the gut to keep the "invader" from getting into the bloodstream does that, just like it does for a real GI bug, but gluten is there longer and it stays like that). But if you stop eating gluten, you stop making as many antibodies.

A lot of folks have gotten false negatives because of this. In fact my GP trusts my saying "I stopped eating gluten and my belly stopped hurting, I stopped having constant diarrhea, I no longer have only barely enough energy to go to college classes 2 mornings a week and doing the bare minimum of studying before I collapse, and for the first time the nurse weighed me and I was over 100 lbs" more than he trusts the blood tests!

Which is not to say not to bother- a real test is a big help (especially if there's a potential teenager's rebellion lurking or for some other reason self control is limited, LOL). But do be aware that, after testing and especially if it's negative but no other options come to light in testing, there are real celiacs who have tested negative.

But here's prayers and/or positive thoughts towards that appointment next week. May the GI be a caring genius who gives your girl the attention she needs and has the knowledge needed to help her. In fact, may all doctors have the time and knowledge and caring and all patients have the opprotunity to see them!

Jaseann

co-cl: Celiac Disease

Just because someone, even a doctor, says you look healthy doesn't mean it's all in your head. Just because someone hasn't heard of your condition doesn't mean it's not worth doing what you need to to treat it. You are the expert on your body. Take care of it!

Jaseann

co-cl-Celiac Disease

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-10-2009 - 10:11pm

Thanks so much for your replies. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to talk to me. I am definitely going to request a Celiac Panel as well as a test for other allergies (such as a RAST test). I have been doing so much research during the past week to try to be prepared for her appointment next week. I sure hope they find the cause and it's fixable.

Debbie